• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

"I think I'm crazy" cab swap

Hi Everyone,

My cab, fenders & interior are ratty & rusted. I've found a donor truck & i'm about to attempt a cab swap from an '01 1500 gasser, auto, extended cab Laramie to a '99 3500 diesel, 5speed, Reg. cab, base model. I have the shop manual in pdf for the '99 and I've done a lot of research already. I'm going to try and document the swap here if there seems to be any interest and I'm sure I'll have many questions for you guys along the way. Wish me luck ... I'll need it.

Points I've thought of: cab mounts, clutch/brake pedal mount, gauge cluster, among others. Any heads up on things I might not have thought of yet would be appreciated.

First Question:  I'm not sure what electrical changes there were from '99 to '01. Does anyone have the electrical pages in pdf that I can have to review any differences. Please PM me. I'm currently reviewing and highlighting the diesels portions of the electrics in my manual.

Thanks in advance for any help. :thumb1: I'll add some pictures soon.

I did it on an older one, I used the gasser wiring harness in the cab, so far everything seems to be working.  However I haven't had a chance to work on the "wait to start" light.  I know at least one issue with it, I just don't know if that's the only one.

You'll need to swap in the Diesel gauge cluster.

Brake and clutch mounting system should be the same.

You'll need to keep the diesel radiator support.

You'll have to cut the hole for the shifter.

Gasser cabs aren't sound proofed like the diesels. you might want to swap the sound deadener stuff on the diesels firewall onto the gasser cab, makes a big difference.

You'll have to remove the fenders first, then the cab.  There is a lot of bolts that are going to need to be removed, if your memory is anything like mine, try to thread the bolts back into where they came from.  If you can't, put the related ones in baggies.

EDIT:  I just reread. you plan on swapping a extended cab onto a regular cab frame?  are you going to stretch the frame?

If you're going from a base model interior to Laramie a few things i can think of are power seats and different radio/speakers. Just thinking loud here but the 99 has rear wheel ABS and I believe the 01 would be 4 wheel ABS. Not sure if the the brake switch or cruise control wiring would be different. Also interested in how the regular to extended cab swap is going to work.

With regards to the extended cab, I'll need to transfer 2 cab mounts and hopefully there are no other surprises. It's a 164" cab & chassis, so length is fine.

I'm going to cut about 20" off the front and move the headache rack back.

16axmhe.jpg

24vlfgx.jpg

Edited by BigRedNewfie

Yeah it's time for a cab change. Wow! That's rusted out pretty good.

The driver side is even worse.

Started to take apart the red dodge last night ...  easy going. It's been oil sprayed for since new I think. Real slimy but no rust and no issues yet with the bolts.

• Owner

Now I'll suggest something to you. I've seen a gent in Louisiana take a cab off with front clip and carefully set it back down on the rear window. Then proceeded to under coat the entire cab. Then had color match bedliner from the moulding down bottom of the rocker panels. Let it sit and cure good for about a week and then lift the cab back up and mount to the frame.  I wish I had the pictures yet but it was beautiful done truck when done never have a rust issue will full under coating of the cab and bedliner on the rocker panels.

Saw one almost exactly like that one on the interstate going through Mandan ND last week, had out of state plates on it pulling a trailer with another vehicle on it and it was rusted out even worse than yours, I have never personally seen one even close to that bad before. I don't think he had to roll the windows down for a breeze in the cab. :wow: