• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Got a ScanGaugeIl

Drove around today without trailer. 19.3 mpg. What I've noticed is that I keep gaining mpg until I have to stop. Then the cycle goes downward again. Be interesting to see what happens when i actually get on the freeway for a distance. Mpg seem to be better when you keep the Rpms a bit higher. Lugging nets poor mpg.

• Like 1

• Owner

Hard part is that so far the information its provided is interesting but it won't effect my driving habits. I can't control need to stop at stop signs or lights and the other killer of mileage is hills.

Also congrads on 1k posts...

But as for stop and go travel I usually look for routes that reduce the amount of stop and go. Even if you can shave off 2-3 stops but add maybe 1 mile you'll still come out ahead. As for hills you'll find that backing off and using 1 gear down typically will gain you slightly more MPG's. Like I know I can climb most all 6-7% grades in 5th no problem but drop to 53 MPH and climb in 4th I normally gain about 1-2 MPG over staying in 5th. I use the feedback from the ScanGauge and the EGT's for gearing choice. So if I can climb the same grade at the same speed but 4th (1:1 ratio) is 150-200*F cooler in EGT's typically the MPG are just slightly better.

Kind of like riding a bicycle. Yo can ride a bicycle in top gear on flat ground but still climbing a small hill you feel the amount of power you must put out to continue. Same holds true for the truck if you can slow slightly and grab a gear down the load is lessen and MPG's improve typically.

First full tank and fillup with the ScanGuage. Best hand calculated fuel economy I've seen for a work week. Typical route and hauling conditions.

Biggest increase in MPG is from staying out of overdrive. I've not yet had the opportunity to do any 65 MPH freeway driving yet, but on country roads staying out of OD gives me significantly better mileage.

Question is...is there a downside mechanically to adjusting my driving habits to not using OD unless on downhill grades or speeds over 55? I am seeing 2,250 RPM's at 55 in lockup (4th gear if you will, 1:1 gear ratio). Before I'd lug through in OD to keep engine RPM's lower. Thinking that was better for the drivetrain, but it means at least 5 MPG difference.

• Owner

Exactly what I do too. I typically run 4th gear (1:1 Ratio) on all speed below 55 MPH. It puts me right at about 2,100 at 55 MPH but like you said about 5 MPG higher. That's another reason I hate the auto's they make shifts at weird times and always requires human intervention to get the best MPG's. I typically have to run OD OFF as well on the 96 Dodge for optimal MPG's.

• 3 weeks later...

I love my Scanguage II, but the OBD II port is junk on my truck. It looses connection all the time. I used to fill the truck up to the Scanguage procedures religiously, but it looses connection and the darn thing resets to factory default. It got very annoying, so now I just use it to read codes and monitor IAT, Voltage, MPH, and FWT.

• 2 weeks later...

Auto Zone, Amazon, eBay to start.

Got pretty well calibrated. Fuel usage was off by 7% out of the box. Speed off too by about 3%. Now that my fuel usage actual and gauge are matching I am averaging more like 16 mpg in my work route. Which only averages 30 mph. On my legs without stop and go I'm doing more like 19. And that's pulling a 3,000# trailer. Still need to do a freeway run and see how that does without the trailer.

We are going to make a idaho trip here before winter sets in. I'll pull out the gauge, get a second cable and plug it into the Subaru. Should be interesting.

• Like 1