• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Got a ScanGaugeIl

I had a check engine light come on. Been threatening to buy a ScanGauge, so since I had no way to read or delete codes I bought one today.

Popped a P0234...boost too high code. I had just passed a truck on a grade, the transmission kicked down to lockup out of overdrive. If I had control id not let it kick down. So I know when it happened. Good news is that's the only code that had been stored. That's a relief.

Now I'm working on calibrating and playing with various settings.

Do you think the boost reading is accurate? Says 13 at idle.

Water temp fluctuates quite a bit. 188-212* in town stop and go. So maybe indicates that my radiator can't keep up with temperature spikes? Or just a thermostat delay?

212 seems to high for just stop and go unloaded. It's probably reading atmospheric pressure at idle which is about 14.7 pounds. Love my scan gauge, it won't work in my old 12v but I use it for reading codes in other vehicles.

Edited by 98whitelightnin

• Owner

There should be a setting for the boost it should show correctly on the newer version. My old version 1 show a weird number like 28.6 PSIa then only goes to 37.7 PSIa. But mine does work correctly on other vehicles. As for sea level atmosphere it should be 14.7 PSIa. Here is more on that...

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html

As for the P0234 code its not a MAP sensor issue but a wastegate issue. The wastegate is most likely rusted shut.

As for the wild swings in temperature I'm going to bet that the face of the radiator is plugged up.

My ScanGaugeII has a "boost" and "MAP" setting. Boost is supposed to be a MAP of "zero" when the truck is started, but it doesn't work on mine.

The major temp swings looks like a thermostat and possibly plugged rad... I doubt it though with your vent mod.

my scan gauge II only has the map and reads the crazy numbers like Mike's, around 28 at idle and about 38 for a max. Can't find a boost setting on mine.

Likely due to the edge comp fooling.

I did the vent mod at 150,000 miles and have not yet had the radiator out for cleaning. Could be plugged.

What are your favorite things to monitor with your ScanGauge?

I have voltage, speed, engine temp, and RPM on mine.

I'm towing a 2,500# utility trailer and my canopy sits about a foot above the cab. Trailer made of expanded steel so probably little air drag. Plus I carry around 500# of tools and materials in the truck bed. Combination of country roads, and freeway seems to be giving average MPG of 14.1, which matches up pretty well with calculated at the pump. Is 14.1MPG fairly represented for my truck, or does it seem low?

I'm towing a 2,500# utility trailer and my canopy sits about a foot above the cab. Trailer made of expanded steel so probably little air drag. Plus I carry around 500# of tools and materials in the truck bed. Combination of country roads, and freeway seems to be giving average MPG of 14.1, which matches up pretty well with calculated at the pump. Is 14.1MPG fairly represented for my truck, or does it seem low?

Unless your doing a fair amount of city driving I'd say that's a bit low. My car hauler weighs about 3,000# empty and I get around 16-17mpg hauling it at 60-70mph.

It might. Most any of the chips I have seen advertise that "might " see a mileage increase in the neighborhood of 5%. My Banks system did not increase mine at all. The only 2 things that have helped mine was the RV 275 injectors and possibly the comp. I picked up a small increase with both, about 1.5 per gallon. Are you still running the OE injectors?

As I'm evaluating the mileage more, I do pretty good until I hit stop signs and hills. Acceleration kills me. So my mileage compared to others may be a function of terrain. I was at 17 before I hit a grade and some stop and go. So averaging 14 may not be that bad. I go into town and make probably 10 stops a day at various locations. I'm anxious to make a road trip without the trailer. I know I hand calculated 21.88 before I had the canopy on without a trailer. Maybe I'm underestimating the weight too. I need to find a scale.