• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Time for a power steering flush

Remove both return hoses at the back of the pump and route them into a funnel, then a catch can underneath the axle area, a large catch can. I just did this the other day, except I just let hoses hang down and when I turned the truck on, fluid blew everywhere from the fan! Maybe a bag of kitty litter, just in case. You may have to slice the hoses a little to get them off the back of the pump if you have never removed the hoses before. Maybe get some stainless steel band clamps just in case too. At least 2 quarts of power steering fluid. I just replaced all my hoses too, under $70 for all four from rock auto! 

• Owner

I typically just pull a return line route to a waste bucket and pump fresh fluid through till the return line is clean and clear. Then hook up and refill. Some like doing lock to lock steering wheel to push all the fluid from the gear box. If you going to do that jack it up for the front axles, leave the engine off and steer from lock to lock and it will pull the fluid through on its own.

• Like 2

I typically just pull a return line route to a waste bucket and pump fresh fluid through till the return line is clean and clear. Then hook up and refill. Some like doing lock to lock steering wheel to push all the fluid from the gear box. If you going to do that jack it up for the front axles, leave the engine off and steer from lock to lock and it will pull the fluid through on its own.

How do you pump fresh fluid through? Do I have 2 return lines because of hydroboost? How do I know which are the returns? ATF+4 or PS fluid? Sorry for all the ??

Just pull one return line. Cap the fitting on the pump. The two lines with hoses clamps are returns. Anything with thread fittings is pressure. Power Steering Fluid only. NO ATF! ATF is used in 3rd Gens but Power Steering fluid in 1989 to 2002...

Just one more question. How do you pump fresh fluid in? I guess I'm a little scared from reading some guys who do this and end up with no power steering or brakes because they didn't do something right.

Just one more question. How do you pump fresh fluid in? I guess I'm a little scared from reading some guys who do this and end up with no power steering or brakes because they didn't do something right.

Drink a beer....................re-read Mikes posts..............drink another beer....................and just do it.  Power steering doesn't hold much fluid at all.

Well your not really pumping new fluid in, just adding new as the old is being pumped out. "Pump" old fluid out by turning the wheel/pumping the brakes and add new when the reservoir runs low.

"The solution to pollution is dilution"

Beer breaks are a requirement for this process to work correctly.

• Like 1

Ohhhh now I see. And like brake bleeding if no air enters no bleeding necessary. I think I got it. Case of beer and 3 quarts of PS fluid sound about right? Are there any preferred brands of fluid?

Most any brand of "new" stuff will be better than the "old" stuff drained out.

• Owner

If prime is lost from using the engine to pump the fluid... Simple finish your flushing then hook up all the lines and again and refill the power steering pump. Now have front axle jacked up and slowly go from lock to lock. This will pump the fluid back through the steering system prime the pump again.

• Like 1

If prime is lost from using the engine to pump the fluid... Simple finish your flushing then hook up all the lines and again and refill the power steering pump. Now have front axle jacked up and slowly go from lock to lock. This will pump the fluid back through the steering system prime the pump again.

Thanks for clearing it up for me. I'l let the engine off and give it a try.

SuperTech is good stuff.  I'm back to running SuperTech as engine oil now.

i use their 2 stroke and their engine oil in my skid steer. how do you like the engine oil for in your truck? It's often tempted me cause it's a lot cheaper

• Staff

Eventually I'm going to install a 'Y' ball valve so I can drain and flush easy. Placed on the return line with a hose coiled up ready to go in a bucket when I want to flush it again.

If I drink too much beer the toilet always flushes by itself. :)

Got it done and just wanted to add a few notes for other first timers. I got 3 quarts of PS fluid and 2 quarts of Lager and wound up short. Next time I'll get 5 quarts of Lager  :lmao2:.No seriously it wasn't bad at all, just the first time jitters. I got clear fluid after about 2.5 quarts, but I would have flushed some more if I had extra. Like Pepsi said 4-5 would be better. I had to cut the return line to get it off and there was enough extra to fit up again, but the next time I'll need a new hose so would be good to have one just in case. I routed the hose down and tie-wrapped to the track bar to help contain the mess and it worked really well. The worst part of the job was while I had the font end up i checked ball joints and yep, It's time. Guess I'll need more than 3 quarts to get me through that job  :cry: .  Where do you get the OEM Spicers? Thanks for all the help.