• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

XRF Balljoints

:shrug: Thanks Dave, I'll take a look at my glove box sticker and post back.

About what the factory uses... I have a friend that has the latest gen Dodge Cummins. Supposed to be nearly the same front end as the 2nd gens and 3rd gens with some changes for the better as you go later models. However, the newest generation Dodge front end steering has caused some deaths, as I understand, there is a big lawsuit and recall on it.

Read the sticker, it's pretty wore off so difficult to tell, but, looks like it says M60 or something. I have a camper package, does that mean I could have a bigger axle?

I think all models have dana 60 fronts and automatic 2500s have dana 70 rears. Manuals and 3500s have dana 80 rears.

• Like 1

post-338-0-05785300-1442174196_thumb.jpgThat is correct. I have seen some other brands that way and a lot of others with the zerk pointing up. I did not know anything about the set up you had until it was discussed here. I also have a 90* fitting for my grease gun. 

I did a poor job of aligning the fitting how ever.

Edited by dripley

Wow cool Dave. :thumb1:  Thanks very much. Saves me a lot of time/ frustration since age isn't kind dealing with with such tiny parts and little room.

you are most welcome, my friend, and I can identify with the age very well!!!

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

Well, I've finally made up my mind. Checked E-Bay and I can get OEM Spicer un-greaseables for $85 shipped, Thats cheaper than NAPA and the last ones went 125k. And the Spicer axle joint for about $45. This is for my early axle. I did not see a listing for the 2000 and up Dana 60.

Dave, be sure and let us know what you think them. This thread sure went beyond XRF in hurry. Still not sure what  am going to do, but I still have some time to think.

Older Moog good stuff. Newer Moog not so great. Spicer is good stuff. Just remember to grease them at least twice a year or more depending on mileage and conditions. Also don't push crap into your ball joints. Wipe the grease zerk off before pumping the ball joints full. If you do push stuff in it will act like lapping compound.

good to know about the 2 different kinds of Spicer joints. How do you tell if they are USA or not? I'm gonna ask the E-Bay seller for sure. I'm not putting china junk in for as much time as this job will take. What a shame for Spicer to sub out to china for a cheap version and do it on the sly.  Makes me want to just go with Napa now again. I always assumed Dana Spicer was Dana Spicer . :rolleyes:

good to know about the 2 different kinds of Spicer joints. How do you tell if they are USA or not? I'm gonna ask the E-Bay seller for sure. I'm not putting china junk in for as much time as this job will take. What a shame for Spicer to sub out to china for a cheap version and do it on the sly.  Makes me want to just go with Napa now again. I always assumed Dana Spicer was Dana Spicer . :rolleyes:

I feel your pain. I am counting ball joints to fall asleep by instead of sheep now.

Pulled the trigger today! I contacted the E-Bay seller and told him I hear Spicer make joints in chia and state side. He immediately replied back and was emphatic that these are not made in china but in Canada as it says on the box. He then went on to take a closer up picture and altered the listing to say that these are the OEM joints just like the ones put in the truck when it was built. Got the axle joints too. They list for the newer trucks but the bottom appears grease-able? Ventures Truck Parts from Ogden Utah in case any one's interested. So we shall see. Now my next dilemma..... what brand of beer and band aides do I get for this job :think:  :shrug:

Will do. I may even document the procedure if I can figure it out, as I wasn't able to find much in the way of a write-up.

Make sure you have a good tuna fork. Also pneumatic hammers help alot. Your on your own with the beer and band-aids though.

Replacing_Ball_Joints.pdf

Will do. I may even document the procedure if I can figure it out, as I wasn't able to find much in the way of a write-up.

Here is a right up I stumbled across a little while back. i did not have the benefit of any pneumatic tools when I did mine. Still managed to do it however. 

It is basically bolt off bolt on except that everything is pretty well stuck. So be prepared for some frustration.

Edited by dripley

Heck you can always come up here I'll do them. For beer... Sure why not! I'll even supply the camping area. Ask JAG1 about that... :wink:

Dave 110, this is a great offer, Just beware if Mike gets the torch. He as been known to strike a man in the cahones with a super heat ball stud in the past. :tongue:

• Like 1