• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New BHAF options!

Air Filter Poll  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What would you use?

• BHAF
    • New airbox for new filter
    • Full air box kit and filter

I would like to see some numbers, and so forth.

Pricing?

Who makes the filters? are they long standing like Wix or Donaldson?

Detailed pictures, inside, out, etc.

Dimensions?

No word on pricing but the filter element is a Donaldson Powercore.

The vendor wants to see if there is enough interest in this.

Interest would be based on some specs

Price,

Size,

Published flow numbers,

and price.

I am interested now, but I am just like ever other stupid consumer, lets see some pics and details.

The filter flow rate for the BHAF I am using is 1300 CFM according to a gentleman I spoke with. There is the possibility that an oval filter would be used rather than the round filter and it flows 150 CFM more than the round filter.

Currently the filter I am using is 8 inches long, 8 inches diameter and has a 5 inch flange. The same element can also receive a 4 inch flange or 6 inch offset flange.

The oval filter I'm still digging to get the dimensions.

Just got off the phone with the vendor again and for a full kit including duct work, filter and all we are looking in the ball park of the 300 dollar range. If they develop an air box only to utilize factory plumbing thar would be in the 200 dollar range.

These filters again can last up to 100,000 miles with typical conditions, filter the air better than OE and the current BHAF options and flow much more than the factory air box and BHAF options.

• Owner
we are looking in the ball park of the 300 dollar range.

$300 is a bit pricey..

Here is where I get mine at...

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Big-Honkin-Air-Filter-BHAF-p/bhaf.htm

Is there going to be a filter only option? Being I would be tossing out the box for the winter time to get warm for the engine when the temps fall well below ZERO.

That means it does not fit the factory air box, correct?

Yes that is correct. The factory airbox itself is a key restriction point in our trucks air system. Even though a factory element can flow neat 480 CFM of air the box itself can not ingest that amount of air fast enough to properly supply even the factory turbo which can suck down around 900 plus CFM of air. This causes some compressor inefficiency and additional heat.

$300 is a bit pricey..

Here is where I get mine at...

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Big-Honkin-Air-Filter-BHAF-p/bhaf.htm

Is there going to be a filter only option? Being I would be tossing out the box for the winter time to get warm for the engine when the temps fall well below ZERO.

It is a pricy option but will help those in higher dust environments and extreme conditions. I fit in that category for sure.

There is a just filter option also and is available for purchase. I will post that info here in a bit.

I'm sure they would give us some sort of additional cold air duct work that depending on location could be altered to draw heated air during winter months.

Edited by Vais01

Ok BHAF sizes and part numbers:

These filters are available through Volant and built by Donaldson for them. They use the Powercore technology for the best flow, filtration and longevity. They can be back flushed with low pressure air if in extreme dust conditions and are water and moisture resistant.

8" long x 8" diameter filters on all BHAF options. Flow rates are 1300 CFM and the powercore can filter the air too!

4 inch flange: 61504

5 inch flange: 61502

6 inch offset flange: 61508

300$ for a air filter is a large pill to swallow.

300 dollars would be for the entire air intake kit. Around 200 for an airbox for the filter that would use factory plumbing.

Both options with the air filter included.

The filter alone is around the 80 dollar range. Still cheaper than replacing your factory filter 3 to 4 times to equal the mileage from just one of these filters.

Edited by Vais01

The ones in Mike's picture are around $89. That is more my speed but still alot more than the BHAF.

Better filtration is cheap compared to replacing rings or rebuilding an engine.

The added airflow is a perk too.

Edited by Vais01

We may be able to have them build air plumbing and a heat shield if that would float everyones boat. Could help with the dust and allow for cooler running temps while hauling heavy or in extreme conditions.

Edited by Vais01