• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New CJ-4 oils in older Flat Tappet Engine

Oil filters will go into bypass mode. So the oil flow will continue regardless. I know some folks that barely put 3,000 miles on a year. Personally me I wouldn't push a oil filter past more than 10,000 miles. Owners manual shows schedule A capable of 7,500 miles.

I thought bypass filters don't have a bypass valve and when they plug they stop flowing. I heard somebody put 50k on one before it stopped flowing I just wasn't sure if it was done in one year or it took several.

• Staff

So has anybody ran bypass filters longer then a year, regardless of milage? Do you change them when they stop flowing or once a year?

I once ran one for 23K miles over 14 months and even with all the soot at the time it didn't plug. I use a EaBP-110.

On my wife's 4Runner I run them for 2 years which is 2 oil changes and approx 16-20K miles. She uses a EaBP-90.

Amsoil rates them for 60K miles or two full flow changes.

• Like 1

Looks pretty good to me 1275 ppm phosporus, 1500 zink, 12.4 tbn. $59 for 5 gallons. Might be my new oil. Now just got to find better price on by pass filters. What gets me is tan 2.76 and that it's marginal and needs to be monitored. It's brand new oil!

Edited by Dieselfuture

Yon know from what amsoil advertises that they have highest tbn of 12, that is not so in this test, unless people that did it are making it up for some reason. When I dropped this sample off I dint tell them that it's the oil I just bought from them. As far as they know it could be anything. Also 1500 ppm of zink is pretty good too.

• Staff

Yon know from what amsoil advertises that they have highest tbn of 12, that is not so in this test, unless people that did it are making it up for some reason. When I dropped this sample off I dint tell them that it's the oil I just bought from them. As far as they know it could be anything. Also 1500 ppm of zink is pretty good too.

Where does Amsoil advertise that?

So just to be clear this altorfer deo 15w40 oil is made for cat engines, does anyone see a problem running this oil in cummins? It does says cummins ces 20081 on the label. But is this the right code for our engine? At $12 a gallon seems like a good deal considering it has more zink in it then amsoil, Dello, rotella and valvoline. I know zink isn't the only thing to focus on in oil. Also it does have 12 tbn. I know few of you guys just don't seem to care what you run as long as it's cheap and says cj4 and meets or exceeds previous oils. I just want to be safe rather then sorry.

CES 20081 is the Cummins spec for CJ-4 oil, so it is a CJ-4 oil.

No clue on the TAN.

Great now I got to go down there and set them straight as they reassured me that it was not cj4, if you look at that label it has cj4 on it but they covered it with blueish color paint and when I asked them, response was that they screwed up when printed labels and had to cover it. I'll se what they say about that code and TAN also. Why is it so hard to find good oil or for that matter anything that's worth a crap, always on the hunt.

So I talked with altorfers today regarding TAN being 2.7 in their new oil and they said that it was probably an additive that made it look that way and that as soon as you would run it through engine it should come down. The other thing we talked about is ash of 1.3 and that cj oil should be below 1 so answer on that was that they use Mobil oil that is cj4 with other things that CAT wanted to add so it could be part of it. So really I didn't get too many answerers other than it should be ci4 oil that I got but according to everything else we could find it sounds like it's cj4 Mobil oil that has extra things that CAT wanted in it. I guess at $3 a quart I'm going to use it for a while and do another sample after few thousand miles and see what comes out. But that rumor about them still selling ci4 oil is probably a myth.