• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Starter Hung,

Question, what is the normal or usual reasons for a starter to hang? I walked out of the office, fired the truck and it was the strangest damn noise, once i realized what it was, I shut it down, restarted normally,
home now, tried to reproduce it and it seems to be fine now.

I have the truck on ramps cooling at the moment and going to inspect the starter to make sure its not lose etc. it was the damnedest thing
FYI, i just replaced the batteries and the truck has a very brisk start to it now. is the starter getting worn??
Thoughts?

Question, what is the normal or usual reasons for a starter to hang? I walked out of the office, fired the truck and it was the strangest damn noise, once i realized what it was, I shut it down, restarted normally,

home now, tried to reproduce it and it seems to be fine now.

I have the truck on ramps cooling at the moment and going to inspect the starter to make sure its not lose etc. it was the damnedest thing

FYI, i just replaced the batteries and the truck has a very brisk start to it now. is the starter getting worn??

Thoughts?

I would think the solinoid hung. Chances are from many cycles of use. It happens at times with age.

ok, well i am getting ready to inspect it, just so i know its not lossed up on me, i am looking at 200 bucks for a new starter and able 150 for a reman,

I will budget it in. truck is at ~160k

You can rebuild it yourself for about half that over a few brews and a little time. I do believe there is a write up and the kit is available from different vendors.

The contact coming from the power side wears much quicker than the other side. Once the power side wears enough it can wedge the solenoid in place. Not hard to fix at all

Larry B's is where I got mine, and they are oversized! My truck seemed to start faster after

http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge-denso-starter-solenoid-kit-89-2006.html

Here are some pics. It takes more time to pull the starter than it does to pop the back off and replace.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/9995-teardown-and-rebuild/page-13