• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The time has come to produce the Mopar1973Man High Idle & MPG fooler switches again.

One thing I've noticed with my switch is if I start up in MPG mode and then later switch to 6cyl or 3cyl, the truck will 3cyl high idle in either position. The only way I've been able to get 6cyl or 3cyl high idle to work is to start the truck with the switch in the OFF position and then switching to either mode after start up. Don't necessarily think this is what's causing your problem, but just something I've noticed.

Hey guys,

I received my new high idle switch today and got it installed! It took me way longer to install it than it should have because Im so OCD about how my wires are routed. Finally got it done and I love it! So far it works great! I can definitely notice a difference in the sound of the engine with the MPG fooler, much quieter! I do have a few questions though. First, there is a little tab that points toward the face of the switch on one side. I assume it is there to dig in and keep the switch from turning. However, it seems a little long and bends the switch quite a bit when you tighten the nut. Can I trim it a little with a pair of cutting pliers so it doesn't bend the switch so much? It squished the little detents and makes the switch harder to turn. Second, I thought EGT's should be higher in 3 cyl mode than just idling normally? Mine are about 50-75 degrees lower, about 200-225 or so, and it was about 50* outside on top of that...Is there something wrong? or is this just because I don't have an exhaust brake? 

Thanks in advance and thank you for making such a great product!

• Owner
19 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

First, there is a little tab that points toward the face of the switch on one side.

I took a pair of needle nose pilers and just flatten that tab so I could mount it to a flat surface. Simple solution.

20 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

Second, I thought EGT's should be higher in 3 cyl mode than just idling normally?

It should take about 2-3 minutes set in this mode to enable 6 CYL mode once it reaches 1,200 RPM's then it will flip over to 3 CYL mode. You are required to have coolant temps BELOW 140*F before you can enable 3 CYL mode.

6 CYL mode can be enabled at any time being it fools both coolant tenp and intake air temp.

Mine still cycle in MPG mode.   I don't get the WTS light or the first cycle, but beyond that they cycle. I think the battery temp sensor and ECT sensor play a role in some of the years of truck.  

Edited by Me78569

On December 14, 2015 at 4:28 PM, notlimah said:

One thing I've noticed with my switch is if I start up in MPG mode and then later switch to 6cyl or 3cyl, the truck will 3cyl high idle in either position. The only way I've been able to get 6cyl or 3cyl high idle to work is to start the truck with the switch in the OFF position and then switching to either mode after start up. Don't necessarily think this is what's causing your problem, but just something I've noticed.

Wonder if that's what is going on with my??

• Owner

Absolute way of hitting the mode. Is selecting the mode you want BEFORE you turn the key ON. This will set the mode before you even start the engine. After you started you can turn the mode to MPG or OFF. This should get you exactly what you want.

If you get the wrong mode. Then you must shut down for at least 15-30 second to clear the software from the ECM. Then on the next start its a blank slate.

• Like 1

• Owner

A lot of people down south delete the grid heater all together.

I've started my truck at the low temp of 25*F once and rather rough start missing, lots of white smoke till the cylinder temp came up then it settled down and ran normally. I would say it best to start with grid heaters on a initial cold start after that you can leave the switch in MPG mode.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2015 at 1:38 PM, leathermaneod said:

Is it harmful to start the truck in mpg mode when it is cold enough that the grids would run? I tried it today at 35° to see how it would start. It turned over and started quicker than if the grids had run but it had kinda of a big cough immediately after it fired off....

Mine will do the same thing if I start her up in MPG mode when it's around those temps. No big deal! :thumbup2:

On Friday, December 18, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

A lot of people down south delete the grid heater all together.

I've started my truck at the low temp of 25*F once and rather rough start missing, lots of white smoke till the cylinder temp came up then it settled down and ran normally. I would say it best to start with grid heaters on a initial cold start after that you can leave the switch in MPG mode.

I had a grid heater deleted up until this past fall. No need to delete the grid as it will not change EGT or performance. 

Now as far as starting I've cranked up in the low teens and other than more noise and white smoke everything was fine once everything warmed up. I will suggest high idle warm up vs regular idle to get everything up to temps.

• 2 weeks later...

We have one more switch for sale in the store.   

Harness is new and was only used to spec out the next run of switches.  Now that we have spec'd out the next harnesses this one can be sold.

Fully tested and working.