• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2007 5.9 Fuel Pump Fuse or Relay Location

fendercare

I am looking to locate where the fuse or relay is on my 2007 5.9 3500 Ram.  I have searched hi and low to no avail so hope someone can give me some good direction.  This truck has the TIPM module and there is no indication on the cover of a fuse for the fuel or lift pump.  My dealer is a bit shakey but indicates the fuel pump which is located in the tank is controlled in the solid state circuitry of the TIPM so there is no assessable fuse or relay.  If true and if I want to disable the fuel pump for a test I would have to find the connector somewhere back by the fuel tank and disconnect.  Is this the situation or is there another more accurate procedure?

• Owner

That would be my guess too. Even the 2nd gen don't have a fuel pump fuse or a relay either and its directly controlled by the ECM. I'm going to say that the 3rd Gens are also the same way controlled by the ECM so the only thing you can do is unplug the connector at the fuel tank. Be aware it will throw a CEL for that.

Many thanks Michael.

I wrote the post several weeks ago asking for input on excessive oil consumption on this vehicle and am getting prepared for a compression test which is the reason I ask this question.  I have a Spade tool that I received from Cummins Tuner when I bought the King Tune package so I believe that will allow me to clear the error code.

Last weekend I opened the exhaust side of the turbo and it was dust dry.  Despite using about one quart of oil every 400 miles the exit was very clean with your fingers getting some black on them but not excessive and just powder.  This is new territory for me so I am going one step at a time.

Now it is down to valve seals or a ring issue I believe.  I am hoping for the former and not the latter but will continue to dig until the cause is found.  I stopped at Atlantic Cummins in the Washington, DC area and described to the situation to one of the mechanics and his top 3 in order were the turbo, valve seals and then a ring issue.  He felt a ring issue was least likely based on the trucks that go through the shop.  So we shall see.

Michael,

Sorry for the redirect but did you mean to say the compressor side of the turbo?  In my first post above I was referring to the turbine side where exhaust from the engine flows.  I cannot see any evidence of oil on this side.  The black residue is not greasy and there really is not much of it.  A few weeks prior I opened the compressor side and removed the tube up to the inner cooler.  Same thing, dry, no evidence of oil or a film of oil just a very small amount of dust which did not attract unusual attention.

I had hoped so much for the cause to be the turbo as it is much easier to handle versus going into the engine but I cannot find any convincing evidence that the source of the excessive oil consumption is coming from the turbo on either side.

Many thanks for your input.

• Staff

I have seen a lot of ring issues lately on the late CR motors (04.5-07). We rebuilt dad's 06 in June with 2 broken rings and oil consumption, and several others have popped up. 

As far as the fuel pump the 03-05's have a relay that is ECM controlled, as do the 2nd gens (looking at a 2001 FSM right now), but it does not appear that 06-07's do with the TIPM

, and several others have popped up. 

As far as the fuel pump the 03-05's have a relay that is ECM controlled, as do the 2nd gens (looking at a 2001 FSM right now), but it does not appear that 06-07's do with the TIPM

John, I don't believe that's true for the '03-'04.5's that have the FF canister mounted fuel pumps.   My FSM for '04 says the same........................there is no relay controlling the lift pump.  The "feed" wire for the OEM fuel pump on my '04.5 traces right back into a huge wire harness that get traced right back to the ECM on the side of the block.  Unless they've hidden one inside the harness, your info in not correct.............................as far as my understanding of what a relay is..............

I have to agree with Mr. Diggler on the relay.

The oe setup does not have a relay. It is powered straight from the ecm. My AD has a relay that came with it and it is plugged into the oe harness and it now is a trigger for the AD supplied relay. The oe lift pump had no relay.

• Staff

John, I don't believe that's true for the '03-'04.5's that have the FF canister mounted fuel pumps.   My FSM for '04 says the same........................there is no relay controlling the lift pump.  The "feed" wire for the OEM fuel pump on my '04.5 traces right back into a huge wire harness that get traced right back to the ECM on the side of the block.  Unless they've hidden one inside the harness, your info in not correct.............................as far as my understanding of what a relay is..............

Have you looked under the relay box?

I bet you find one. 

I have to agree with Mr. Diggler on the relay.

The oe setup does not have a relay. It is powered straight from the ecm. My AD has a relay that came with it and it is plugged into the oe harness and it now is a trigger for the AD supplied relay. The oe lift pump had no relay.

Go look in your fuse/relay panel. It is most likely there. All the wiring diagrams show it. 

The ECM does not have the power input to have that kind of power output. All the ECM can do is trigger a relay. 

If you look at the TIPM trucks that do not have relays (06+) the ECM still just triggers the TIPM to provide power. The ECM is not providing the actual power. 

Edited by AH64ID

Well there is a fuel system relay in the under hood distribution box. I always thought the relay that comes with the aftermarket pumps was there to get the load off of the 'ECM. If that relay is for the oe lift pump then I have a relay triggering another relay for it to operate. Even the intank pump the Dodge installed came with a relay in the harnes and it was plugged into the oe pump harness. Again a relay triggering a relay. I dont have a FSM with me to look so I will have to take your word on it until I can look. 

• Staff

Just looked;  my '04.5 doesn't have a marked LP relay under the fuse box/relay cover.  Got a relay under there that says "transmission" relay though.................but on a 6 speed manual??!!  Could that one be it???  Position 59 IIRC.

What is in position 61?