• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Remove CP3 Pump For Compression Test

fendercare

Hello All,

Going to run a compression test on my 2007 5.9 CR this weekend and was wondering if it is a good idea to remove the CP3 pump as it will not be receiving fuel during the cranking process for each of 6 cylinders?

Thank you in advance for the input.

Hello All,

Going to run a compression test on my 2007 5.9 CR this weekend and was wondering if it is a good idea to remove the CP3 pump as it will not be receiving fuel during the cranking process for each of 6 cylinders?

Thank you in advance for the input.

Sorry for generating confusion with poor clarity.  My concern is the CP3 pump will not be getting any fuel while I am cranking the engine over and thus will be run dry.  Is this hard on the pump or is the time too short and the rotational speed too low to do damage?

• 5 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I finally got around to digging deeper into the oil consumption issue on the 2007 5.9 and believe the source of the problem has been found and yes it appears to be bad news as expected.  Before running a compression test I decided to scope each cylinder with an endoscope I bought.  I ran through cylinder 1 -5 and they all looked reasonable and in good shape with maybe the exception of a little scoring on Cylinder 4 and some light burning of the piston sidewalls at a few points.  While shooting video around the entire piston and cylinder walls clear evidence of honing marks remained and at this point nothing of real note.  Cylinder 6 turned out to be where the issue lies with clear evidence of piston damage and oil droplets remaining on the cylinder wall.  I have attached some pictures which show the bad news.  If there is any good news here I think it is I stopped driving it months ago and there appears to be no cylinder wall damage.  This will have to be confirmed when I pull the head.  I am hoping that a set of pistons and other associated parts will get this back on the road again but would appreciate any thoughts others might have.

I hope everyone can see the pictures as my opinion is they are highly informative and the live video was outstanding for checking piston and cylinder wall condition.  this will all either be confirmed or refuted when I remove the cylinder head.

Sun Apr 03 12-36-55.jpg

Sun Apr 03 12-37-12.jpg

Sun Apr 03 12-37-17.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I think the good is you stopped driving it when you did. Well perfect time to upgrade as well.

What type of boroscope do you have> I bought a cheap harbor freigt one that doesn't take pics, and even the optics aren't as clear as yours

Edited by 2500ctd