• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lift pump probs?!

So I'm not entirely sure if this is even an issue or not but it is something I've noticed. It first came to my attention after installing the high idle mod, although I can't say for certain that's what caused it, or if that's when it started.

Anyways, my issue is that I no longer get a 'prime' when turning the key and waiting for the WTS light to go out. Before I would turn the key, hear the pump prime for about 5 seconds, or just long enough to build to about 15-17psi and then cut off, shortly after the WTS light would extinguish and I'd fire her up. I'm not sure if it's just getting colder outside so its harder to prime or what. I did bump it and it ran through the typical phase of priming for 30-45 seconds or whatever it is. No noticeable drops in PSI across the driving spectrum.

I know the obvious fix is to get rid of my 'junk' lift pump, which will probably be replaced with a fuel boss soon, but for the time being, is there anything else I can check? Or is it even an issue?

***EDIT***

7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Here is the link for signature for you...

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/settings/signature/

Not really. Some software don't have a lift pump signal at key on and other like mine only have 1 second burst.

That's why you watch the fuel pressure gauge after starting. If the pressure is between 14-20 PSI then you fine. At key on doesn't count.

I think I've solved my own problem, should've done some more reading before posting! :doh:

I forgot I just had my truck flashed to enable high idle so that's probably why my lift pump only 'primes' for a second or so now.

If I'm off track on this and it could be something else, please let me know!

Edited by notlimah

Mine used to make that noise with ad150, turning key on for just a second and psi would go to maybe 5, but after i putt fass on it seems to not make much noise anymore and psi doesn't seem to go anywhere. I think some of it has to do with return ball and spring, if it seated in place and it likes it maybe noise goes away. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you got good driving pressure. 

P.S. Now that I think about it you probably don't have a needle valve on your fuel gauge or if you do it's not turned down far enough. that's how you can kill fuel gauge prematurely, does it bounce a few psi when running?  

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1