• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tell me what direction to go

The time has come to change the transmission fluid. Need to know whether I should do the full or partial flush. In leaning towards full flush, but that's me.

I'd like to put atf4 in with a full flush. Dunno how to go about a full flush though.

Also, while the pan is dropped, doing the filter, thought about band adjustment and the Chevy solenoid. Don't remember the part number for it.

What else should I or could I do while I'm servicing the transmission. I was going to do the block off for the passage to get 2nd gear lockup capability too.

Who did your transmission? Some of the autos like my ATS call for fluid other than ATF+4 due to the different clutches.  You might want to check with them.  

As for the full or partial and band adjustment... how many miles since last, since rebuild?  

I have a deep pan on my trans, and I change the fluid every 15-25k.  I figure I don't need to do a full since I have so much volume in the pan.  

Edited by CSM

I spent 4500 on a transmission shop to do a rebuild for me less than a year owning the truck.

I was told they were Kevlar clutches. Dunno if that makes a difference.

This Will be the first service to the transmission since the break in change. My plans are to get a deep pan, but that's not going to happen this service interval.

I might have put 20k on the fluid, been 4 years or so since the last servicing. Fluid is finally starting to turn darker.

I was towing heavy during this time and before I got smart about pulling the trailer, the trans got hot a few times so it's helping me to stay resolved in changing the fluid.

• Staff

I was told to do partial fluid changes more frequent because it's better for the trans to not shock it with full flushes. Don't know how that comes into any reasoning, but, that's what I've been doing. I like the deep dish pan for the frequent use of the drain plug. Then I also like having a trans temp gauge.

I would call the shop and see what they  recommend for fluid and band adjustment.  Most kevlar bands use dextron3 or similar to get better shifts and less slipping.  

I don't like doing full flushes either. But if you feel you can do it right,  go for it.  I don't like when fluid gets dark.  Do you have a temp gauge?  

Below is the link for ATS, has some good info on the band adjustment. Honestly, I haven't checked their specs against the factory service manual. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.atsdiesel.com/additionalinfo/3092164/47RH-RE%2520Band%2520Adjustment%2520v1.0.pdf&ved=0CCwQFjAAahUKEwj04ofi9pLJAhWENiYKHRyyA2I&usg=AFQjCNFwKn6-JfQxRLxEbcN-HtO9p9o5qA&sig2=NzLhIIl0tPvCx5yAMVTeqg

• Like 1