• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The old truck needs tires again

Well after 30k my hancook dynapros as's are shot and in my opinion they were the worst purchase I have made for my truck and they were rotated and balanced every oil change 7k miles about if you are running these tires I'd like to hear your opinion. My front end was rebuilt top to bottom when these tires were put on so I dont think I am the reson for the quick weardown unless I missed something I would also like your guys opinon as to what the best lasting true allterain tire is. At the moment I'm switching to a 285 for shure and I'm debating going back to coopers discoverer st/c even though they cost an arm and a leg because I'll get 60k about out of them and in the winter they are the only tire that does not need sand in the bed or 4wd to handle decent and I have tried the bfg all terrains (got me stuck in a field due to burrying the front axle in snow) and the michilin equvilant and the coopers win hands down in my opinion and is based off of the fact that only one tire to this date has taken me through the axle deep snow off pavement and that was the coopers and they didnt complain... my main problem is I drive almost 50/50 on and off pavement so I need a heady duty all terrain and those types of tire dont last as long ride as nice or wear as well as a highway tread tire which is what I would like to run hence the hancooks currently on there and it simply wolnt work I want to know what you think because I dont like the 700 about for a set of four coopers. Is there another tire out there that im missing?Thanks in advance the advice is always much appreichiated

Around here the Toyo AT seems to be the overwelming dominator for several years but the new style of Hankook dyna pro ATM seem to be popping up all over and guys seem to like them but no longevity reports yet. I just bought a set my self but am waiting for my OEM BFGs to wear out, Currenty have 75K on them and still counting. http://www.discounttire.com/infohankookdynaproatm/hankookdynaproatm.html

Around here Cooper is handled by a local discount chain... few tire store dealers... I had Cooper ATs on a Ford Ranger years ago. The tranny went out & I junked the truck but got the almost new tires off. Auto shop didn't want to put them on wife's Voyager but they were the right size. Wore like iron. I'm still running OEM Michelin "AT" "all season" but are really more of a highway tire. Admittedly I don't really go off the pavement far but there are times the pavement is snow covered. OEM is a crappy snow tire. I've got 50K on the truck / tires. I've still got legal tread... I'm thinking next Fall replacement. I have no idea what I want to put on though.

Thanks for all the quick response the new dynapro atm has tweeked my interests but I'm hesitant to go that way due to the current results of the dynapro as's as well as the toyo open countrys since both run about 200 bucks cheaper for a set of four, does anyone know what kind of longevity to the toyos get? Moparman do you guys get a lot of snow out there and do you sandbag your truck in the winter only asking was because I was under the belief that a skinnyer taller tire does worse in snow versus like a 305 or 285? But at the same time tread pattern matters just as much. Thanks in advance for all the advice it is much apprechiated

I think Mike said before that the taller / narrower tread was better in snow. It makes perfect sense to me. Unless you are in 4WD, you are pushing those front tire "plows" through the resisting snow. From my high performance car days... wide ovals s*cked in the snow.

Thread life has way to many variables to be consistant. Gravel pavement queen trailer or not all the time ect. Speed heat road conditions on and on and on. The Toyo has a 50k warranty as well as the hankooks so if they wear out prematurely they should prorate to a new tire.

Thanks for the tips my truck is going in friday to look at what they will do as for prorating the new ones since i've got 30k on them I dont know what I'll get. I plan to switch to one of three I think let me know what you think its either a dunlop rover mt max traction http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Rover+M%2FT+Maxx+Traction the dunlop rover rt http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Radial+Rover+R%2FT or a toyo open country m55 http://www.toyocanada.com/products/M55.asp I really dont know which route to take and the dunlops run within 40 dollars of each other I just have no previous experiance with them except on our brush fire rig for the fire department otherwise I havent ever used dunlop or toyo tire so this is uncharted waters for me I am leaning towards the maxx traction due to its cheaper than the toyo with the same 50k warranty and I dont like the rt due to I could only get a 265/75 r16 and I'd preffer a 285/75 r16 so I've kinda got it down to 2 but I dont know if there is a reason for it being cheaper :shrug:. Thanks as always for your advice it is always apprechiated

That they do and a almost 50 percent more and only the same warranty I think I have chosen my tire although my tire guy agrees with you wild and free there is not a better all terrain multi purpose tire for our trucks... Thanks for all of your tips and advice it really helps alot and is always apprechiated

I'm running hankook ATM's as a summer tire, which should tell you something. they are siped all to Hades and back and work VERY well in rain and ice. they are about useless in mud and snow. they do seem to wear fairly well, minimal cupping, etc. I did notice that the seem to squirm around more when towing my 5000 lb travel trailer than my other tires.I found a set of Cooper St's almost new on Craigslist and bought them for my winter/mud season tires and they seem to work quite well. the only downside is that they are only load range D so I'm not real optimistic about tread wear. Time will tell.Ops

• Owner

I'm running hankook ATM's as a summer tire, which should tell you something. they are siped all to Hades and back and work VERY well in rain and ice. they are about useless in mud and snow. they do seem to wear fairly well, minimal cupping, etc. I did notice that the seem to squirm around more when towing my 5000 lb travel trailer than my other tires.

I found a set of Cooper St's almost new on Craigslist and bought them for my winter/mud season tires and they seem to work quite well. the only downside is that they are only load range D so I'm not real optimistic about tread wear. Time will tell.

Ops

Strange... I got a set of those too for the winter time Cooper STT 265/75 R16 Load range E... Lets say they do alright out here for mountain climbing in the snow.

I dont do much sand/snow driving just gravel, mud and highway. got some 255/85R16's, a pita to find as cooper is the only manufacturer and they usually get re-branded, but well worth it I think. tires still skinny enough to keep rolling resistance down and tall enough to add to the economy as well. so far they stick to every surface Ive gone through. only paid $175/tire for em too. so I got my spare swapped out to match :cool: hopefully they will do well in freezing rain this winter.

:evilgrin: Want real tires? I know this is totally over the top when it comes to tires, but they'll last 100,000 miles I'm sure. I'm running Toyo M608Z 285/70R19.5 tires mounted on Rickson 19.5" wheels. These are about 35.5 inches in diameter and being the new Toyos are H load rated (yes I said H) the load rating goes from 3,195 pounds per tire to a whopping 6,395 per tire. They are match mounted at Rickson's, static balanced, and full of balance beads, they roll extremely smooth on the highway. I'm running them at 75psi rather than the 125psi max to help the ride a bit. They are stout, that's for sure!:spend:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Walmart used to carry these tire but apparently they no longer do. They are great tires and last a lot longer than any others I am aware of as well as run quiet. Very smooth riding tires. Good compromise off road tire for mud and trails. This is the largest size you can install on a stock truck and not have major problems rubbing. These may rub the lower axle track bar just a little of very sharp turns. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO&partnum=975R6ATAKORWLV2