• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

need a radiator

• Owner

What's the weight of your trailer?

Towing my 8,000 pound RV I can climb most 6-7% grades in 4th gear (1:1 ratio). So for your truck with automatic it would be OD OFF and you would be the same gear. Now speed wise I typically climb at about 53 MPH which is right at 2,000 RPM's. There is only a few times I've had to back down to 3rd gear and climb at 35 MPH

Take an example from the truckers. They don't climb grades slow because of lack of power but controlling EGT's and coolant temperatures.

Ya, I been driving big rigs over wolfcreek and red mountain as well as several others for the last 20 years with OS loads over 120k. And I learned  early on that when those temps start climbing I back off to about 1/2 acceleration and drop gears as necessary. 

As far as mine my fifth wheel weighs about 9000 plus loaded and sometimes Ihave a small boat or atv s behind that to add another 2000. About 35 to 40 is common for on the longer hills and of course o/d off

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the one from Oriely a few years ago and seems to be good quality.  It rarely goes over 195-200 degrees in the summer with the AC on.  My passenger side tank cracked.  I also replaced my radiator cap with a 10 pound one.  I don't tow at high elevation so it shouldn't boil over. I do carry a stock cap just in case I take a trip to the mountains.

• 7 months later...

I need a radiator as well (I THINK)...Seems like the passenger's side top of the unit is damp (On the plastic area) of My OEM with 161k on it!

I  did not do the crank case breather tube mod until about 2 month ago, so My front parts  are pretty well oiled.

I am not liking the reviews I have seen  of the Spectra Radiator  ("... oddball extra length inlet that the Spectra Premium CU1553 comes with (ordered and returned X 2 from Rock auto). The poorly assembled/ returned Spectra also was covered inside and out with what looked like slag or solder even though it was also aluminum.")

BUT I found the following unit and saw

this while reading the Amazon item description:

"OSC Cooling Products 1553 New Radiator

Designed to OES form and function

All necessary fittings or hardware are included

Core is industry standard - 26 millimeters

Features 4 plate stainless steel coolers that is OEM Standard

OSC Premium New Automotive Radiator is designed to OES form and function. OSC radiators are technically advanced and made from premium grade Alcoa aluminum. The tubes are cadmium plated inside and out to prevent premature failure. OSC does not substitute aluminum coolers in place of Stainless Steel plate or Copper and Brass concentric coolers and they use a die cut gasket to ensure there are no leaks. Each radiator is individually pressure tested and engineered for multi-fit without compromising the look and fit. All necessary fittings or hardware are included in each unit. All units meet OES cooler design with copper concentric coolers and plate coolers where originally equipped. "

I don't work for OSC or Amazon and am not trying to "sell" this unit to anybody...just looking for advice and opinions RE a radiator.

The OSC will run $161 delivered from Amazon...

Rock Auto wants $131 delivered

Suggestions My Fellow Forum Members?

7 minutes ago, dripley said:

Cant say much on it either way. When mine went it happened on Sunday and I had to take the one I found. Did not have much choice. I have about 135k on it now and still no issues. I have no idea what brand it is.

Thanks Much, Kind Sir!!

Ed

I cant speak of the other places or brands either, I just went to Orielys because they were the closest and had one in stock, and if I did have to return it they were right their. but I have no complaints, 6 months and a few trips no issues,

I did compare and measure side by side when I pulled the old one out and they were very close in dimensions.

• 1 month later...
On September 15, 2016 at 9:33 AM, DocH said:

Thanks Guys for the replies!

I pulled the trigger on the OCS 1553...

That + gates water pump+ gates hoses+ gates cap = $197.97 delivered by Monday-Tuesday FedEx from Rock auto.

Ed

@DocH i think you meant OSC 1553 how did it turn out? I have heard the same issues about the Spectra.

Edited by deehammer

19 hours ago, deehammer said:

@DocH i think you meant OSC 1553 how did it turn out? I have heard the same issues about the Spectra.

Hey deehammer!

You ARE correct!

It IS the OSC1553 and it went in smoothly. There were no issues with the inlet being too long on the radiator etc. So far so good, and I like what I have read about it

It seems to weigh about the same as the OEM one does, tho I did not put either one on a scale.

The rig was starting to run a bit warmer than usual, and on hills the gauge would hit a little above the 3/4 on a even mildly warm day. I am running a 190 degree thermostat.

Now the temp gauge stays where is usually does...just a hair below the halfway point (Pointing straight up).

Hope the above helps!

DocH

PS: Btw, the Gates Lower radiator hose (GATES 22082 {#8763, MH2082} [Radiator Lower Hose] Molded Coolant Hose; Molded Rubber ) would NOT fit over the engine outlet no matter what was tried...greasing it, warming it up a bit...would not slide on the lower fitting on the engine, so I had to return it to Rock Auto.

Not sure why it was too small. Even tried both ends...no go!

My stock hose is in decent shape, so I am curious as to what others have found!

@DocH thanks for the advice. I replaced the radiator tonight with all the same parts you did. For all those reading the OSC radiator is a perfect fit no washer bottle issue due to inlet length. Only complaint is the drain cock is a plug only no spout. I had the same issue with the lower Gates hose 22082. Unfortunately I ordered it before your post and I had to cut off my old one. Went to local store and got a Dayco lower hose and it fit like a glove. Compared the hoses side by side and the Gates large end that goes to the engine block is tapered about an inch or so too early. I could tell the Dayco and OEM hoses were much better. Take my advice and do not purchase the Gates lower hose go with another brand. 

Really other than the hose issue it was a simple job glad to have it done with the cold weather on the way.

• Like 1

Hey Dayco, that's Great!!

And Thanks for the tip about the lower hose. My lower hose is in decent shape,, so I think I'll replace it next Spring rather than lose the coolant I just put in unless

maybe there is a way to somehow replace the lower hose without flood pouring out when pulling that bottom hose.

From what I read and researched, the OSC 1553 looks like about the best of the bunch for the dollar, but time will tell I guess!

Thanks for the Thanks, Dayco!

Ed