We have detected that you are blocking our advertisers. We pay our operational bills with advertising and donations. Please add Mopar1973Man.Com to your whitelist of sites on your adblocker. If you register as a member and submit a donation to the website, the advertising amount is reduced the more you donate. 

whitelist.png

This will allow you to keep you adblocker turned on for other sites and allow to display advertising here. Thank you, for understanding and whitelisting Mopar1973Man.Com. This will allow us to continue providing quality Cummins diesel information to everyone for free!

• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

Millfire517

Transmission issue now

Ok, finally got my truck back from the shop after my leaking fuel return line was replaced. Today I was out doing some errands and I noticed occasionally when I put it in drive it would hesitate to engage and just Rev up. I would have to either wait or try shifting to park and back and finally it would go into gear. Then it upgraded it's ability to make me want to drive it into the nearest tree by acting like it would lose all power at the trans like it had no go at all. Then out of the blue it would start acting like it should again. 

I don't think the clutches are bad cause when it works it works, but for the life of me I'm just scratching my head again.

The intermittent issue leads me to think either pcm, front pump or possibly linkage or the trans pressure cable out of adjustment. 

Now since it just came from the trans shop after having a upgraded valve body put in I'm hoping it's not valve body related but who knows. 

Any suggestions before I talk myself into putting this truck outta its misery?

I'm calling the trans shop in the morning and see what they think. 

Edited by Millfire517

4 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I would guess that they messed something up.

Sounds like you are leaking trans pressure, maybe they didn't tighten the VB or something like that.  TV loose maybe.

Not sure, but I'm definitely going to contact them first thing tomorrow. Pretty weird though, no issues in 2 months with the trans and now I get it back after having the fuel line replaced and after 20 miles it starts acting funny

Does it do it just going into forward gear? When it is acting up, will it engage reverse normally? What was done to the valve body at the transmission shop?

Only does it in drive.  If i leave it in drive and not mess with it, it acts fine. But if I move the shifter like I would if I were plowing sometimes in drive it doesn't want to move or acts like it won't shift. I'm leaning to hopefully it's a linkage issue. 

I went through 9 kinds of hell with my 47RE after I had it "built" by a somewhat local trans shop. It's a frustrating thing to deal with if you don't have a decent understanding of how it all works. I talked to reputable trans builders, searched forums, and read through the ATSG service manual a few times before I got a solid handle on these things. One of the big issues with my trans was that the shop didn't a have a clue how to rebuild a VB. I ended up buying a fully built one from HTS which eliminated my transmission woes. 

When starting your truck, are you immediately putting it in drive, or waiting a bit? There is a check valve in one of the lines coming from the heat exchanger that if removed, will allow the trans to loose prime. With a stock VB there is no fluid flow in park, so you must put it neutral for a few seconds to allow the system to prime up. With a built VB there should be fluid flow in park, so all you have to do is wait a bit before putting it in drive.

This is a good read for helping to diagnose trans issues http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-drivetrain-except-engine/578420-47re-transmission-troubleshooting-chart.html

Yes, you're referring to converter drain-back. The converter will drain back down to hub level when it sits for a while. This is a non-issue if the VB is modded correctly.