• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

On the Hunt for a Slide in Popup camper

I see all sorts of #4000 straps. can't imagine them breaking.

I read all over that you want a rubber mat in the bed haha.  I wish people on the internet would just agree on something, that would make my life easier.

Jag,

any pictures?

• Staff

I have a rubber mat on the bottom.

To help guide the loading process I have plastic centering guides that can either rub against or help me see if I'm centered by staying within a quarter inch of the guides. The guides also help keep the camper centered and stop the movement on rough roads. I mean that dang thing can get awful crooked in the bed on some bad roads.

I think the straps would be okay but I think the wide 2'' straps are what you want because I don't think much of the skinny ones with the small ratcheting mechanism. The front ties should be angled forward and the rear ties should be angled toward the back.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I need to figure out some sort of mounting points for the camper as my truck doesn't have any.

I've got bed mounts sitting at home. I removed them and welded up the holes, so they're just collecting dust.

Topic has been split

Alright,

So Back to the camper.  I am happy to report and EGT's with the camper on were only ~50*f more than without at the same speed same stretch of road.  Can't complain about that.  

I need to do some work on it.  It has a 120v input and a 12v --> 120v inverter that I am going to upgrade.  I need to figure out a good way to mount a group 31 deep cycle battery.  I am assuming I can use the trailer wiring to charge the battery on the road then wire in a solar panel also?  

Convert the interior lights to LED's  The bulbs in the ceiling look like standard 12v 7506 bulbs.  Is that typical to have the interior lights be 12v?

I do what I can.  I have to build a stable base for the camper today after work, once I get that done I am going to dive into figuring it out.  

Goal is to get everything as low power as possible so I can use a smaller solar panel with a large deep cycle and sustain base functions.  Jen and I like to rough it in terms of technology so we really only need basic power.

• Like 1

• Owner
50 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Goal is to get everything as low power as possible so I can use a smaller solar panel with a large deep cycle and sustain base functions.  Jen and I like to rough it in terms of technology so we really only need basic power.

That's the basis of my design. Cheap power and low power usage. Mostly have the solar for recharging the batteries for lights, pump, and furnace (forced air). I added the inverter because then if I want to charge a cell phone, tablet, etc I can. Again low power usage. I do have a portable TV and DVD play for the night is just too quiet I can watch a DVD movie if I want.

Still converting to LED lighting yet...

Edited by Mopar1973Man