• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

transmission tail seal

I think I used a screwdriver or small pry tool to get it out.  Tap the new one in with a hammer.  Finding the new one was tough, as there are like 3 different seals according to the parts guy at O'Reilly.  Rock Auto failed me on that one.  

Part # lookup tool

They do make a tool specifically for pulling seals, however, I do as CSM said and use a screwdriver. I would recommend using a socket that fits just inside the outside diameter of the seal to hammer on so you don't ding it up and grease the seal so it slides in easier. I also recommend greasing the inside of the seal so the shaft doesn't tear up the seal before gear oil gets to it.

Edited by eddielee

1 hour ago, eddielee said:

Part # lookup tool

They do make a tool specifically for pulling seals, however, I do as CSM said and use a screwdriver. I would recommend using a socket that fits just inside the outside diameter of the seal to hammer on so you don't ding it up and grease the seal so it slides in easier. I also recommend greasing the inside of the seal so the shaft doesn't tear up the seal before gear oil gets to it.

Good points.  I used a bit of ATF and put in there... But on my case, the seal is huge and I don't have a 2.1 or whatever it is socket!

Edited by CSM

Thank for the parts list that sure is help full. Little bit of a pain flipping though 470 some pages to find it. It also shows 3 seals so not sure which one to get. Mine shouldn't be hard to get out its already about inch and a half  back off.