• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

catnhat

transmission tail seal

Noticed that my seal was leaking and was looking for a little insight of fixing it i have never done one. The videos I found where for Fords are they both about the same process on change it.

I changed mine out a few years ago and it was not hard to do. But for the life of me I dont remember how. I am sure i would have gotten the info from the FSM. It is available for down load here on the site. 

I think I used a screwdriver or small pry tool to get it out.  Tap the new one in with a hammer.  Finding the new one was tough, as there are like 3 different seals according to the parts guy at O'Reilly.  Rock Auto failed me on that one.  

Part # lookup tool

They do make a tool specifically for pulling seals, however, I do as CSM said and use a screwdriver. I would recommend using a socket that fits just inside the outside diameter of the seal to hammer on so you don't ding it up and grease the seal so it slides in easier. I also recommend greasing the inside of the seal so the shaft doesn't tear up the seal before gear oil gets to it.

Edited by eddielee

1 hour ago, eddielee said:

Part # lookup tool

They do make a tool specifically for pulling seals, however, I do as CSM said and use a screwdriver. I would recommend using a socket that fits just inside the outside diameter of the seal to hammer on so you don't ding it up and grease the seal so it slides in easier. I also recommend greasing the inside of the seal so the shaft doesn't tear up the seal before gear oil gets to it.

Good points.  I used a bit of ATF and put in there... But on my case, the seal is huge and I don't have a 2.1 or whatever it is socket!

Edited by CSM

I used a seal puller/removal tool from Harbor freight. I think was about 5 or 6 bucks. Works good and inexpensive. I did have a big socket to drive it in with.

Thank for the parts list that sure is help full. Little bit of a pain flipping though 470 some pages to find it. It also shows 3 seals so not sure which one to get. Mine shouldn't be hard to get out its already about inch and a half  back off. 

Call Dodge to get correct part # if necessary.

There are the links on the left column so you don't have to flip. Select type of Trans and it will take you straight to the section you need.

• Like 1