• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2002 24 valve codes PCU P 1693 & ECU P0230

My 2002 24 valve with 180 k miles through these two codes at me the other night as it shut down rolling through an intersection PCU P1693 & ECU P0230. I replaced my lift pump and fuel filter with (OEM parts) after Priming a number of times I got no result. From the sending unit to the injector pump there's what looks like a pressure sensor or regulator with two pig tail wires connected to it running to the lift pump so I grabbed/jiggled/fannessed the two wires and it started and ran so I pulled that part an nobody could idenify it or help me . I dont hear my injection pump running at the key on ignition off position but once I bump the key it pumps and it builds about 5-8 psi before cranking.

You can hear the pump but is any fuel making to the VP? You can loosen the the fuel line at the VP and be sure. Then if you have fuel there you will need to open some injectors and bleed the air out of the high pressure lines. 1 3 and 4 would be sufficient. Crank it for 10 or 15 seconds and let it rest then repeat until you get fuel coming out of the injector lines. Then start tightening them up as they get fuel and it should fire off. It will run rough at first but will smooth out. 

If you cant get fuel thru the VP to the injectors then you will have to trouble shoot it. you could recheck the pump install just to be sure all is ok with that also. Since you had to replace the pump you will have alot of air in the whole system.

Here is some good reading on the fuel system 

I'm trying to put the timeline together, but it seems like it you replaced the VP44 and fuel filter and then you ran into this issue? Or was it the other way around?

If it was replaced after the truck threw the codes and you primed with no start up, then I'd agree with dripley, may just have too much air in the lines. I crack every line starting at the VP, once it runs fuel with no bubbles, tighten it down, and then do the same with the injectors. Just bump the starter so the lift pump will flood the lines with fuel and get the air out. Mine actually start once I tightened down #4 and it was spitting some fuel out of 1 and 3 so I had to rush to tighten them down, but ran fine after that with no issues.

If it was replaced, and was running fine, then threw the codes, I think TFaoro is right on with something being loose.