• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I did lift pump relay mod on my 1999 pick up! Thanks

Ok I did the mod and it primes when you go key on but when cranking it you can see the test light flashing (not staying steady) and then when it starts it stays steady is this what i am looking for? i don't have gauge for fuel yet but the lift pump is from parts store new and only 1000 miles old so far. I can tell right off the batt something is different because it cranks and lights first hit of the key where as since installing new lift pump it would crank a few times and some times you had to try 5 or 6 times before it would start! I thank you guys very much for the modification its a life saver! Question now is I know its just a bandaid to my injection pump's problem, I have 155,000 miles on truck guessing same on injection pump what should I expect to go out next or how long? Should I be saving for new injection pump? Truck runs great now starts great just worried about injection pump now! Thanks in advance. CD

• Owner

Here is my suggestion... 1. Gauges (Get at least a fuel pressure gauge! But Pyrometer and Boost are important too)

a. Fuel pressure gauge are typically about $40 bucks.

2. Get a fuel system (FASS, AirDog or Raptor - Don't buy a FASS DDRP!)

a. Fuel pressure below 10 PSI is hard on VP44 b. Fuel pressure below 14 PSI is going to close the overflow valve and reduce cooling and lubing abilities.

3. I would check for error codes on the truck your going to need a code reader for sure.

a. Depending on the error codes you might be looking for a pump really soon and might not...

4. The fact you had to do the relay mod for the lift pump proves the fact you diaphram is torn and the VP44 has seen seriously low to zero fuel pressure before. so there is damage done to the pump but how much I don't know yet.

I am guessing error codes don't show on the dash do they? Where can i go get codes read what reader do i need? I have a 0-100 psi auto meter gauge and all the stuff to make it work I realize this is more psi then i need but I have it free. I have #3 AN line and fittings but can't see where to go through fire wall with it after hooking up to top of filter? I purchased the truck in december with 150k miles no info about it. I can see two 1/8th pipe fittings on top of filter so at one point or another the lift pump must have been checked I am guessing. I did KDP mod to find out it had already been done and was at this time I put a test gauge on system to check lift pump pressure and found out it was reading 4psi and after just min of driving it went to zero!!!! I went to local parts store Oreillys auto parts store and purchased what they had for $65 it looks like newer style then the factory one one! After fuel pressure what would you do next I am on budget and have to watch it right now. I thank you guys very much I love this website! Chris:thumb1:

• Owner

I am guessing error codes don't show on the dash do they?

Sorry no... 2000 and up do that you'll need a code reader...

Where can i go get codes read what reader do i need?

I personally like the ScanGuage II which you can buy at Auto Zone... www.scangauge.com

I have a 0-100 psi auto meter gauge and all the stuff to make it work I realize this is more psi then i need but I have it free.

It going to be really hard to get accurate number... Way too large of a gauge since you'll be measuring about 5-15 PSi typically.

I have #3 AN line and fittings but can't see where to go through fire wall with it after hooking up to top of filter?

If you use Polyon air brake line its much easier to tuck in through the firewall comared to #3 AN line...

I purchased the truck in december with 150k miles no info about it. I can see two 1/8th pipe fittings on top of filter so at one point or another the lift pump must have been checked I am guessing.

The inner most fitting should be a after filter to VP44 pressure...

I did KDP mod to find out it had already been done and was at this time I put a test gauge on system to check lift pump pressure and found out it was reading 4psi and after just min of driving it went to zero!!!!

Not good at all that VP44 is taking a huge beating!

I went to local parts store Oreillys auto parts store and purchased what they had for $65 it looks like newer style then the factory one one! After fuel pressure what would you do next I am on budget and have to watch it right now. I thank you guys very much I love this website! Chris:thumb1:

Yeah I know the budget thing is really tough on people... But remember if you deal with the problems properly the cost of repairs won't bite you bad later.

FASS, Airdog, or Raptor??? Mopar man which one is best priced and most complete? I need to know what all esle I need if I purchase one of these. Also do you do away with the factory fuel filter water seperator? How about the lift pump does it take the place of it? Thanks CD

• Owner

FASS, Airdog, or Raptor??? Mopar man which one is best priced and most complete?

FASS or AirDog is the most complete system with a lifetime warranty... But the raptor is just a pump and doesn't replace the fuel line between the stock fuel filter and the VP44. As for Price AirDog is the cheapeest... Raptor is cheaper yet but you'll have to order a big line for the filter to VP44 (increase the price about $40 bucks)

I need to know what all esle I need if I purchase one of these.

Nothing if you order a AirDog or FASS it complete fuel system kit...

Also do you do away with the factory fuel filter water seperator?

You can If you wish but I kept mine bcause of the cold winters and hated all the weird report of the WIF light coming on just because the plug got wet.

How about the lift pump does it take the place of it?

Yes... It would replace everything between the fuel tank to the VP44... All plumbing, pump, and wiring...

Thanks CD

Here is my write up on the AirDog install...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/airdog-150/airdog-150.htm