• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What's it like to have a waste gate?

My truck came with the non gated Aurora 2000... so I don't know the difference. I'm sure I will either want to get a new turbo at some point or need one. I always read about folks messing with a gated turbo... I guess to achieve higher boost? If or when the time comes... will I want and appreciate a gated turbo or will I be so accustomed to a non and want another? 

It should provided you aren't vastly overfueling the turbo.  

Barking gets worse the more you overspeed the turbo, a wastegate keeps the turbo from overspeeding.  

I think a 2k turbo is minutely bigger than the hx35 and looking at your mods I am guessing you are overfueling the turbo/overspeeding.

• Like 1

Okay... that's why I ask a lot of questions... and trying to understand.. the comp box and fueling. I tried different settings today on the comp. Is the key indication of over fueling ... smoke?? If I turn the box down to where I get little to no smoke the right amount of fuel? <---- stepping on it kinda heavy?

I would more so look at the turbo map, see what boost you are pushing and see if the turbo is efficient where you are driving it.

you have enough fuel to push a hx35 out of it's map so I am sure you are doing this with the 2000 turbo badly since it doesn't have a wastegate to bleed off exhaust gasses.

EGT's smoke output at high boost can indicate an issue, but I would look for a compressor map of your turbo.

ATS say 40PSI is the max for the turbo.  what boost do you see?

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

I was thinking of doing studs when I did injectors but it wasn't in the cards. So, it seams I should just not push this turbo too hard... which could be easily accomplished by not stomping on it and/or turning the box down. I think a new turbo is in my future which I've discussed with Tyler and Wade (cumminsdog) 

• Owner

Yeah, maybe an HX35 hybrid. 

You are no bigger fuel wise than I am. I'm still running my HX35W and zero issues. The boost limits out right at 35-37 PSI. We both have +50 HP injectors and both running an Edge Comp. The only difference is you've got 4" exhaust to my 3" exhaust but I have no EGT's issues. 

it sits within spec of holset....good enough for me.

However unless you like to tinker I wouldn't go the vgt route.  

vgt perks

- Exhaust brake

- spool is VERY nice

- don't run into top end drive pressure  / egt issues with my quad and 100 hp      injectors 

- sea level it is all but smoke free ( and I mean tuner turned up and you stomp on  the pedal from a stop there is almost no smoke, more of a haze)

turbo choice really depends on what HP level you want to be at.  If you are going to say between 400hp and 450hp I would say a 351 is a better choice than a 61/62 sized turbo.  the he351 will spool faster than the hx35 and support 400 hp easy.  

If you want more than 450hp then you need to step up to a bigger turbo, but you will lose some bottom end.  I know Tyler liked his 62 a lot, but he also has a 5 speed vs our Auto.  Less gears means less ability to gear down.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

If you drive like a normal human being, towing or empty, the only time you should hit 40psi is accelerating hard on an on ramp on the highway. I ran a WH1C (HX35) 58/60/14cm non gated and never over speeded it, driving normally. Now I have a gated Super B and I haven't pushed it much past 35psi. I also haven't floored it with a load, just to keep temps down. Non gated will hit harder once it spools but you have to watch temperature and pressure if you're racing it. What are your temps towing? Bigger injectors in the future? Going to a bigger turbo with your current set-up, 3.55 gears, you will spool slower, but if you're running hot when towing then going bigger would make sense. 

• Like 2

Yep,

I would find a used one on craigslist or Cumminsforum or similar.  You should be able to get a good one for way less than $500.  I picked up my he351ve for $400 and it only had 4000 miles on it.

However there is a lot of truth to, if it aint broke dont fix it....

Edited by Me78569