• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What's next any ideas?

1999 dodge 4x4 ext cab auto fass 95 titanium draw straw in tank gauges thanks mopar man as this was the first suggestion from you 4inch mbpr Bhaf rv 275s  cooper 265-75-16 hbs steering stabilizer 2 inch lift in front edge comp box seem to be dropping mpgs smoking a little more and egts getting a little higher just ordered a new Donaldson Bhaf had a amsoil on there but the outer wear got real dirty I think I'm gonna try running that crank tube down lower as everything is getting oily up top 170 k on the mileage everybody's telling me to go with a bigger injector  and maybe a newer turbo any advice thanks Tom

Well like I said was gonna sell the truck than thought about it and decided to keep it I'm thinking the air cleaner was on just a bit longer than it should have when the new one gets here I'll see how it works as far as smoke I've been playing with the comp settings but I'm thinking the amsoil filter is done tried blowing it out but it's starting to collapse when I hit the throttle a good friend said maybe a little bigger sticks might get the egts down just looking for some advice from you guys thanks 

If the filter is sucking down then it is time for a new one, so that was a good choice.  

What are your EGTS at now?  

Idle? 

Cruise at 55, 65, 75,?

WOT

How many miles on your injectors?  

What trans mods do you have?

• Owner
On 3/15/2016 at 9:35 AM, ebbtide357 said:

I'm thinking the amsoil filter is done tried blowing it out but it's starting to collapse when I hit the throttle

I try to advise people to stay away from washable air filters. I've got a truck here that might of ruined the turbo from a badly plugged up Afe washable air filter. It pulling oil in the compressor side of the turbo now.

I've been playing with the comp settings

Take the main level as high as possible. Then use the sublevel to control smoke. 1-3 are defuel modes. Sublevel is accessed by holding the power button down for 3 seconds.

1. 33% of stock fuel till 20 PSI of boost
  2. 50% of stock fuel till 15 PSI of boost
  3. 67% of stock fuel till 10 PSI of boost

a good friend said maybe a little bigger sticks might get the egts down

Sorry that's backwards. More fuel is always going to produce more heat. It the boost pressure that brings the EGT's down. Daily driver truck need a good quick spooling turbo.

On 3/15/2016 at 8:25 AM, ebbtide357 said:

cooper 265-75-16

Cooper tires are nice aggressive tread but I hate to say it they are very heavy for rotational mass even in a stock 265/75 R16 size. Roughly about 20 pounds heavier than a standard Mitchellin LTX 265/75 R16. It will increase EGT's just from stop and go traffic getting that extra 80 pounds of rotational mass rolling. I had a set of Cooper STT myself and experienced the same thing end up getting rid of them.

Those RV275's if in good working order should give you the best mileage as far as injectors goes. That is, if the truck isnt being raced around to much. Like Mike said, you might check and adjust the sub levels on the comp. You might try a main level of 5 and a sub level of 3 to start out with. That should help clean up the smoke.

Also, if that filter is collapsing it needs to get out of there. Any kind of restriction will cause all kinds of smoke/EGT issues right from the get-go.

As far as tires go, I am not sold on the weight thing yet. I run a 315/70/17 (34.5 inch) Hankook Dynapro all terrain tire and regularly average 23-25 mpgs cruising at 70mph. I have high marked at 26.8 mpgs. Yes, I double checked it with a GPS. The other thing is one tire size will not always weigh the same between brands. For instance, you may have different ply builds between the tires. An 8 ply tire will not weight the same as a 10 ply tire.

• Owner
19 minutes ago, Ilikeoldfords said:

Dynapro all terrain tire and regularly average 23-25 mpgs cruising at 70mph

I've got a hard time with high MPG at high speed. If you can reach those kind of numbers at 70 MPH you should be well over 30 MPG at a lower speed say 55 or 60 MPH. Which most of the never happens. This why I've got hard time with it. I've asked these people to try a lower speed and the MPG number fall like rock.

22 minutes ago, Ilikeoldfords said:

The other thing is one tire size will not always weigh the same between brands. For instance, you may have different ply builds between the tires. An 8 ply tire will not weight the same as a 10 ply tire.

Yeah like my previous 14 ply (load range G's) tires were lighter than my current 10 ply (Load range E's) tires. These are just slightly heavier. So the ply number does mean it lighter. Remember some tires are cast with heavier lug pattern giving weight to the tire. Both are 235/85 R16's. Like a H/T tire is typically lighter than a A/T or M/T tire again comparing to same sized tire. Then a H/T tire typically has less rolling resistance compared to a A/T or M/T.