• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

30 WT oil

so tractor supply has a http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/traveller-diesel-engine-oil-sae-30-2-gal

straight 30wt oil.. would there be hard in running this? i use 15/40 most of the time and don't really see the need for the 5/40 as i plug my truck in in the cold.

i'd be running it in most of my engines as well. most call for a 10/30-15/40

i'm looking to stock pile some oil before the new oil spec takes affect. i'll be getting 5 and 55 gallon drums of 15/40 and maybe some of this 30wt oil.

thoughts.

Hmm.... Is the Cummins made for it?

Because of the cold around my area I wouldn't want to be "caught in the cold" with straight 30 weight. I doubt it would hurt it but why take the chance? I'd run it in the far equipment though!

well tractor supply has the house brand Traveler on sale for 39. a 5. so i got 40 gal. of the 15/40. rotella was on sale as well but was 59 a 5. all the reviews i've read on travelers was good. so i'm not scared to use it. i'll be using it in all my machines as well.

the straight 30 was specked as cg/sg oil for 93 n older engines. (ALWAYS REAL THE LABEL)

I was running 5/40 winter and 15/40 summer, Valvoline, but i can't see spending 80$ a year to run the synthetic stuff. then $60 to go to the summer 15/40, i'l just change it more often now. not go the 10K miles. maybe drop to 7K or so.

what i'll be using it in.

04 cummins,

05 deere 2210

15 can-am commander Max 1000

01 CR 250

99 CR125,

Honda 160 log splitter

Honda 160 pressure washer

12 civic,

93 toyota 22RE

13 can-am DS90

01 honda XR100

05 cummins onan generator

i go through a lot of oil...

i also got some non-detergent 40Wt for the 5 speed trans in the toyota.

• Staff

Cummins does have some criteria allowing a 30wt in the 5.9; however, a straight 30wt seems like it wouldn't do well. 

On 3/25/2016 at 2:43 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Personally myself i run 15w-40 even with minus winter weather. No issues. Even unplugged. Matter of fact my block heater cord failed years ago.

Having ran 15w-40 non-synthetic for a winter and having a real oil pressure gauge that isn't something I would recommend. That oil does not like to flow when cold. 

Ever see the video I put on here with oil at -5°F?? It makes it very easy to see why Cummins doesn't want 15w-40 dino below 0°F. 

• Staff

Fuel heater won't do anything for cold soaked engine oil. 

I'll look for the video. 

Block heater will help but only somewhat. The oil sits in the bottom of the pan and the block heater heats the coolant in the block. There will be some warming of the oil due to proximity, but it won't be as warm as the block. But the bigger issue is that it's not always possible to use the block heater, nor is it cost effective. 

• Like 1