• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brake squeakssss

Well I'm full of problems today...

I've been having a slight brake squeal. It only occurs under VERY light braking. What's recently been happening though is it'll squeak when at low speeds. Usually only below 30mph I can hear it and when driving straight. When turning it seems to go away and doesn't come back once wheels are straightened out again. I'm not sure if it happens once the brakes are applied and then once I've let off that they're not fully separating from the calipers or what. Any ideas?

• Owner

You should be able to check axle joints if you jack up the front axle. As long as the axles have no tension on them then you should be able to detect looseness in the u-joint.

As for brakes like I said I would do a drop test of the pistons. With the caliper and caliper seals removed I would do a drop test of the piston into each hole. The piston should fall to the bottom of each bore without being pushed. This is a sign of the piston growing in size dried brake fluid on the piston. Just need to use a very fine sandpaper and retune each piston to it own hole. Typically during sanding you'll see the dried brake fluid.

I don't think it's a joint of any kind as it doesn't happen when turning, typically only when lightly applying the brakes and sometimes a little after that. I'll look into the caliper check Mike. I'm pretty sure the brakes were serviced not that long ago too. I'm going to get under there and look to see if anythings obviously out of place or could rub. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I have an update to this...

The squeaks are still there, but it's not as much as it was before. Previously it was every time the brakes were applied, lightly, as soon as more pressure was added to the brakes the squeak would go away.

Now it's just occasionally happening, but, I did notice that it will squeak here and there when I'm turning left. I know it's still brakes because I hear the squeak, and apply VERY light braking and it changes the sound or goes away.

What could this be?

• Staff

It doesn't hurt to check things out especially the brake system, if you're moving you got to stop.  You say the PO serviced them, did he do them himself or have Manny, Mo, or Jack do it? I've seen people put brake pads in backward and then wonder what that grinding noise was.  What was the quality of parts used?  I have people all the time tell me " use the cheapest parts because I'm selling the car". 

• 2 weeks later...

My Honda had a light squeak when braking that morphed into a groaning just as I stopped.  I had recently replaced the pads and hardware with Napa gold shoes. Pulled everything down and applied brake quiet to back of the pads. I quieted down for about 2,000 miles and came back. Napa gold is top of the line. My friend that owns the Napa store said he doubts it would be the pads but gave me a new set to try.  I ran the offending pads 20,000 miles until my wife's gripping forced me to change them. Yep, it was the pads.  Never assume the new part has to be perfect even when buying the best. PS.  The old pads were almost as thick as the new ones with 25K on them.