• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hi gents,

New here to the forum picked myself up a 2002 24v a few months back, I'm still in school so haven't got to working on the truck much yet but did notice I had a few codes when I bought it:

P1594 - Charging system voltage too high

P1492 - Ambient/Battery temp sensor volts too high

P1763 - Governor pressure sensor volts too high

Anyone had any experience on where to start with these codes? Truck runs well, only problem is when it warms up it seems to have a rough idle when not in gear. No issues starting even in the middle of winter, fires right up.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Have you cleared them to see if they come back?

What voltage is your truck charging at? 

Test the wiring for the temp prob under the battery, if it is good then replace the sensor

I'd replace the trans sensors. 

I would think that would help your codes.

• Like 2

• Owner

I just had one do the same thing tripping that code and found the battery temp sensor was unplugged. So verify there is no broken wires or the sensor is unplugged.

As for high charging voltage double check the green wire and verify its not shorted to ground. I've seen a few cases where this happened and creates a runaway alternator.

• 3 weeks later...

Great thanks for the replies, I will double check all the wiring. So i've been plugging away at a few other things on the truck and servicing it (oil change, fuel filter, installed BHAF)

I have been trying to figure out the rough idle, as the truck warms up the rough idle starts, sounds like it has a misfire, but it only happens under no load (park, neutral).

I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and noticed I was getting almost no pressure when I bumped the ignition and ran the lift pump, so I installed a new lift pump (Delphi HFP953) but still the the rough idle. Could my vp be dead or dying? Truck doesn't smoke and no issues starting.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

been reading the site, thanks for that @Dieselfuture..... was working on the truck tonight and started it as it hadn't been started in awhile, I noticed that the rough idle didn't start until I pressed the throttle for the first time.

It was idling great from when I started it, but after i revved it up a little that's when the rough idle started and wouldn't go away until I turned the truck off

55 minutes ago, lucaslepore said:

been reading the site, thanks for that @Dieselfuture..... was working on the truck tonight and started it as it hadn't been started in awhile, I noticed that the rough idle didn't start until I pressed the throttle for the first time.

It was idling great from when I started it, but after i revved it up a little that's when the rough idle started and wouldn't go away until I turned the truck off

No problem man, I know how you feel. I felt same way when I had problems surging and was about to buy a vp but decided to listen to few smart people on this site and started troubleshooting my truck, along the way I learned quite a bit and still haven't changed my vp as it seems to still function. Although once in a while it does some wired miss but then it's gone again for a long time. So far I changed injectors, which seemed to help most, but miss was still present,  next big thing that helped even more was rebuilding my alternator because I had more ac noise than electronics like. Between injectors and alternator I think it took care of most of my problems. But keep in mind I already had 1/2" fuel lines through out and Fass150, also good batteries and all connections checked and cleaned. Between what I listed should take care of a lot of issues,  and my latest thing was an ecl set for low voltage to map (boost) sensor, after a bit of research found out that oil sending unit shares same 5v loop and if oil sensor gets old it can short out internally. So I changed it and had no codes or problems since. It doesn't stop with problems, but more I fix, more I learn, and next problem that will come along  will also be solved. I don't mind it too much, as long as it's not every day. Once I'll figure out how to fly I'll probably quit messing with it, maybe not :)

Bottom line is all vehicles need something might as well be the one I like listening to. 

Edited by Dieselfuture