• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Opinions on Amsoil and bypass filtration.

• Owner

CajFlynn truck he changed oil every 20k miles used Chevron Delo 15w-40 and fleetguard filters. So I tend to not worry too much about types of oil and weight much. Being that most petroleum oil products can get you to the 1 million mark without an issue. 

18 minutes ago, 01cummins4ever said:

Dang.. With only 280K on my clock at the rate I'm going I ll be 98 years old when my odometer rolls over.

I think I need more long trips

LOL... I'm right behind you at 262k...

• Owner

Something to consider. We are talking about the oil filters, oils, and bypass filters. Why is it that people put a washable air filter on the turbo and wash a few time and it breaks down filter media and start passing dust into the engine. All synthetic oil and high quality oil filters won't stop that damage. Food for thought...

34 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Something to consider. We are talking about the oil filters, oils, and bypass filters. Why is it that people put a washable air filter on the turbo and wash a few time and it breaks down filter media and start passing dust into the engine. All synthetic oil and high quality oil filters won't stop that damage. Food for thought...

Yes I know. Anytime I hear of someone running a K&N (oil or air) I cringe, even on a gasser. All I can say is hold it up to the sunlight sometime. Thanks to all your good info I am running a Donaldson BHAF. Unfortunately, prior to that my truck had a K&N, and before that I believe an air raid, but I don't know for how long. 

45 minutes ago, angus said:

The DBL7349 is a Donaldson that replaced their ELF 7349.. It has a 20 micron rating which I believe is the best non bypass filter you can buy.

So that's the one I should be looking for then? I've seen the elf on the web recently that's why I'm confused....is the dbl better in some way?

7 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

So that's the one I should be looking for then? I've seen the elf on the web recently that's why I'm confused....is the dbl better in some way?

My understanding was that the DBL replaced the ELF.. but I could be wrong? I had this conversation with AH64 last fall and the consensus is the DBL7349 is the best single stage filter you can buy.

I read a TDR comparison on diesel motor oils that ranked Valvoline 15w40w blue # 1, Rotella T6 5w40w #2, and Valvoline extreme 5w40w #3..  I am currently running the Rotella T6 mainly for the flow characteristics of 5w40w in cold weather.

I did a UOA at 7500 miles with the Valvoline 15w40w with a Baldwin BT7349 filter last year, and it came back really good. Since the DBL7349 is a extend life filter I`m going to go out to 10K with the T6 and do another UOA and see what if any difference there is.

Do you remeber why the Valvoline synth was ranked lowest out of the three? Just curious....

I too am running the 5w-40 synth for the cold flow characteristics, but it sure is expensive! And sometimes I still wonder if it's best or not....

• Owner
10 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

Do you start your truck in those temps without being plugged in though? 

Yes. Block heater core failed about 4 years ago. Not to mention most places where it get parked in those conditions there is no power to be plugged in. Like a common example is like snowmobile parking lot or ski resort and going out snowmobiling or skiing for the day. I've asked lots of locals about this and what oils and filters they use. Most answer back 15w-40 oil and Wix or NAPA filters. I was just talking with one gent yesterday he's got a wonderful 1st gen with over 600k miles.

bdjssp.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Wow that's awesome! I love seeing old first gens in good shape! I would LOVE to own one! I recently saw one on Maryland Craigslit with about 120k that was in show room condition. It looked AMAZING! Beautiful brow and tan two tone. Dude was asking 23k for it. 

Anyway back to the oil. What I don't get about synth vs conventional is, isn't it a proven fact that the synth oil, especially lighter like 5w, gets flowing to the engine parts faster than the 15w-40 conventional? Especially in cold temps with no heater. Also doesn't it stick to the parts better while the engine is off so it's not so dry at start up? And if it so, then how is it not worth it to go with the synth for these trucks? I'm not at all trying to argue here, just trying to learn something new as usual :thumb1: 

is there something bad about the synth? Other than price of course...

btw here's a link to that 1st gen if you wanna look at the pics http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5560843099.html

Edited by leathermaneod

29 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

Do you remeber why the Valvoline synth was ranked lowest out of the three? Just curious....

I too am running the 5w-40 synth for the cold flow characteristics, but it sure is expensive! And sometimes I still wonder if it's best or not....

Actually they tested 21 different oils and there were 5 ranked as the best which included both Valvoline Dino and Synthetic.

I have always run Valvoline in everything, I`m just trying the T6 because its cheaper.

• Owner

Synthetics oil are better it just they don't have the paraffin waxes from natural crude oil stock and since it is synthetic the oil molecules are more uniformed. Synthetics have a better pour point temperature vs petroleum. So your right is does have those characteristics like you said. As for petroleum like I'm using I just start the truck and set 3 cylinder high idle and let it warm up before driving hard. So after 3 cylinder mode is started pyrometer temperature rises and heat is generated rather quickly.  Typically I can go from ambient temperatures to 100*F coolant in under 5 minutes just on 3 cylinder high idle. Then drive off. Way different that starting up cold and leaving to idle in the freezing cold and not generating any heat. Way different story. 

As for the oils I tend to ask folks with over 500k miles or more on the odometer what they use.  The common answer is petroleum based oils (Chevron Delo, Rotella, etc.) You just don't see synthetic oil users stepping forward with high mileage engines. just something to think about...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

12 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

Anyway back to the oil. What I don't get about synth vs conventional is, isn't it a proven fact that the synth oil, especially lighter like 5w, gets flowing to the engine parts faster than the 15w-40 conventional? Especially in cold temps with no heater. Also doesn't it stick to the parts better while the engine is off so it's not so dry at start up? 

That's why I went with 5w40w The old school wisdom that still lives today is most engine wear occurs at startup, and at - 25 your dino oil is the equivalent of pancake syrup

6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

As for the oils I tend to ask folks with over 500k miles or more on the odometer what they use.  The common answer is petroleum based oils (Chevron Delo, Rotella, etc.) You just don't see synthetic oil users stepping forward with high mileage engines. just something to think about...

I wonder why that is though? I mean it can't be that synthetic users aren't making it to 500k can it? 

In the winter I will start mine and let run a minute or so with the exhaust brake on then just idle it out of the rv park to the highway and drive. I take pretty easy until the temps get up 120 or 140 and then I am gone.

And Leather, I too ran a K&N for quite while before changing over to the BHAF.

I only have 176k on my 3rd gen so I don`t have much evidence to back up my own opinions.. I started with rotella T which I used in my diesel tractors then changed to Valvoline 15w40w,, now 5w40w T6... personally I still have an itch to go to Valvoline 5w40w probably just for no other reason than brand loyalty.

in reality I think there are a lot of good oils out there if you follow a good OCI , and it also boils down to what you are comfortable paying for.

• Owner
23 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

I wonder why that is though? I mean it can't be that synthetic users aren't making it to 500k can it? 

With all the people I talked to I've only talk may be 2 people with over 500k miles with synthetic oils. The rest are all petroleum oil users. Most of them being hotshotters or people that travel long distances so doing towing work and some just travel for work. Look at Dripley again he pulls his 5th wheel to a job and then drive the truck back and forth to work. I wouldn't classify him as hotshotter but not a daily driver either being that its mixed long travel and short travel. I've have extensive chats with him on the phone at night.

I know AH64ID is a big AMSOil fan but just recently rebuilt his engine from a failed cam gear that wiped out the oil pump. So he's starting all over again from zero on mileage counter.

Edited by Mopar1973Man