• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV4500 fluid no longer produced.

• Owner

No I'm not planning on it. The problem is the carbon fiber syncro's and shift performance. That's the only reason for the Castrol Syntorq. The rest of the transmission there is nothing special about bearing, gears, etc. So the 2 requirements is GL-4 lubricants and something that will work with the carbon fiber syncros. Even if I went with brass syncros I'd still have to stay with GL-4 lubricant for the sole reason of the GL-5 problem and yellow metals. When you read up on GL-x rating you see there is actually GL-1 to GL-6 rating. GL-4 is the only thing that doesn't react to yellow metal but high enough rating for a transmission to use.

• Owner

Being that Weller Truck (Boise, ID) dyno's the transmission with 50 WT. Then like High Gear suggest Mobil Delvac 50 WT for there rebuilt transmissions.

Now Abe (@ Weller Truck) did suggest finding 75w-90 as another solution but problem finding it in a GL-4 grade. I finding lots of GL-5 but none in the GL-4 category. As for finding people using 75w-90 GL-4 I didn't find many shops or people using that fluid.

Just the net right now is a stir of all kinds of ideas and thoughts. I've seen some running synthetic 5w-30 engine oil. Some using the 50 SAE transmission fluid, then Quad 4x4 and it's Redline.

Great discussion!

This explains why my cold shifting performance is less than optimal.... I run the Gorilla Juice.   Almost out, so looks like I am looking for my local Mobil distributor! 

Fun!

50 minutes ago, Haggar said:

Great discussion!

This explains why my cold shifting performance is less than optimal.... I run the Gorilla Juice.   Almost out, so looks like I am looking for my local Mobil distributor! 

Fun!

I'm not sure what your experience is, but everything I have read says to run away from Mike Lazar and his products. Hopefully some new oil will get it shifting right :thumbup2: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've got my NV4500 transmission and 5 gallon pail of lube which Mobil Delvac 50 SAE synthetic. I'll post pictures later on. Very nicely done.

Would you mind giving us a price and where you got it?

• Owner

Weller Truck for $263 for a 5 gallon pail of Mobil Delvac 50 SAE transmission fluid.

I figure since I was heading to the big city I could get it for a good price after finding out the local NAPA misquoted me a price. So getting down to Ontario I figure with the interstate close by and all the truck shops it should be easy to get. Wrong. Most part store counter workers are so ignorant of what I was talking about and attempting to sell me 50 weight engine oil or ATF fluid. Like I told them I'm looking for synthetic 50 weight transmission fluid with GL-4 rating. You get a glassy stare like... :wtf: So I gave up wasting time driving all over Ontario, OR and went to the Weller truck pick up my transmission and they had it in stock. So add that to my bill. Lets say close to $1,800 when said and done. Broke the main shaft right at 3rd and 4th gear. Wore down most of the syncro's and nearly wore out 5th gear itself. Upgraded main shaft installed and torqued to 450 foot pounds which is the new specs on the nut. New bearings as well.

0505161925.jpg0505161926b.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

• Owner
Just now, leathermaneod said:

450 ft lbs is the new spec for what? 5th gear nut?

Yes. I asked him what the required torque is. On the new updated shaft its 450 foot pounds. Something you can't do with a pipe wrench or hammer and chisel correctly.

3 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

Well $50 a gallon sure is a heck of a lot better than $100!

That's what I figured too. Going rate that I last remember is $108 a gallon for NV4500 from the dealer. Now I've got 5 gallons and Abe @ Weller Truck still said to stay to the 100k change intervals like I was doing and I'm good to go. Unlimited mileage one year coverage.

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yes. I asked him what the required torque is. On the new updated shaft its 450 foot pounds. Something you can't do with a pipe wrench or hammer and chisel correctly.

That's crazy! Where do they get the updated shaft they use?

I totally agree on the need for the right tools. That's why I took mine to a shop to get it looked over and have the new 5th gear but put on. I looked into getting the tools, but just like you mentioned in your other thread, way too expensive for a once or twice in a lifetime use. 

Thats also good news on the 100k change interval for that fluid. Makes the $50 a gallon even easier to swallow. 

• Owner
1 minute ago, leathermaneod said:

Thats also good news on the 100k change interval for that fluid. Makes the $50 a gallon even easier to swallow.

According to the documentation from Mobil its rated for 500,000 mile change intervals. I asked Abe about that and even he think that would be stretching the limits a bit far.

Wow. Seems like that would not be wise on something with no filter to catch the dirt and wear metal, even if the oil didn't break down in that time. Honestly, if/when I make the switch to the Mobil, I will probably do every 25 or 50k. Just because I can, and it can't hurt. 

• Owner

I've been doing 100k miles on the Mopar Fluid for all this time I might back down to 50k miles myself. Change out when color starts to change. Being the fluid is cheaper and get more of it. At least you don't have to panic about if you can't do it at 50k miles knowing the fluid will hold up for very long time.

11 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

That's crazy! Where do they get the updated shaft they use?

I'm not sure.

• Like 1

I changed mine right after buying my truck and it came out looking pretty brown. I had to drain it about 8000 miles later and it was the same color. So I certainly wouldn't mind draining it again to try and clean it up. Not to mention my PTO covers or the bolts leak for some reason and id have to drain it to fix that. I'm not sure why they are leaking as I had new gaskets put one while it was out for the clutch and 5th gear. Maybe some RTV on the bottom bolt would help...