• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV4500 fluid no longer produced.

• Owner

http://www.quad4x4.com/syntorqlt.html

Castrol no longer offers Syntorq LT® and there is no Castrol replacement that we know of that is suitable for the New Venture NV4500 5 speed manual transmission.

So since I know I got to put some sort of lubricant back into the transmission and NV4500 fluid by Castrol is no longer produced. So I called the shop that is rebuilding my transmission. He suggested 50 weight synthetic transmission fluid in a GL-4 rating.  So I started digging around. I can buy a 5 gallon bucket locally for 50WT Synthetic GL-4 Transmission Fluid. Then did some digging on the Internet because I want to find out if any others where using the 50 WT transmission fluid. 

Guess what... Another rebuilder suggesting the 50 WT transmission fluid.

http://nv4500transmission.com/nv4500-transmission-fluid

Now as for the 50 WT its used on most over the road truck transmissions as well.

http://pds.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_Synthetic_Transmission_Fluid_50.aspx

So I think I'm going to give this a go and when the transmission get here. Unless there is any other comments or suggestion of fluids.

40 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

http://www.quad4x4.com/syntorqlt.html

So since I know I got to put some sort of lubricant back into the transmission and NV4500 fluid by Castrol is no longer produced. So I called the shop that is rebuilding my transmission. He suggested 50 weight synthetic transmission fluid in a GL-4 rating.  So I started digging around. I can buy a 5 gallon bucket locally for 50WT Synthetic GL-4 Transmission Fluid. Then did some digging on the Internet because I want to find out if any others where using the 50 WT transmission fluid. 

Guess what... Another rebuilder suggesting the 50 WT transmission fluid.

http://nv4500transmission.com/nv4500-transmission-fluid

Now as for the 50 WT its used on most over the road truck transmissions as well.

http://pds.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_Synthetic_Transmission_Fluid_50.aspx

So I think I'm going to give this a go and when the transmission get here. Unless there is any other comments or suggestion of fluids.

My dealership still has a BUNCH. If you would like me to pick some up and send it to you, say the word.

3 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

My dealership still has a BUNCH. If you would like me to pick some up and send it to you, say the word.

Buy on closeout... hoard... ebay... profit?

• Owner

I'm going to go with the 50 WT transmission fluid which happens to be the same stuff they dyno the transmission with after rebuilding it. I want to see if I can break out of the Castrol Syntorq lock down and find everyone else a easy replacement that isn't a AMSOil or Redline.

As I recall there is a rebuilder that will rebuild a 4500 with brass syncros so you don't need  the Castrol. I was searching about 2 years ago but I cant remember how I found it and haven't looked since.

i bet you're looking forward to getting the truck back together again.  When mine was out of service for a month, I missed it a LOT more than I thought i would.  I am kinda fond of that hunk of junk.  

Crazy thing about it is that my dad ended up renting me his "farm" 3rd gen... It was comfy, the 4 doors were awesome, it was a little quieter, and I hated it.  I could make a list of the whys, but honestly, I am now off the "should'a bought a 3rd gen" train.  Not saying at all it was a bad truck, but it wasn't my truck that I know and love.  It would probably take me at least 6 months to get comfortable with something other than a 2nd gen after driving them for the past 13 years.

Edited by CSM

I dont think you missed anything. You just happen to be the first Amsoil user to speak up. While I dont use it, it sounds like a great product though not great enough for me to change my Dino ways. 

I was wondering where all you Amsoil guys were because I remember some of the discussions we had here in the past. Not sure we had any coverts either way from those.

• Owner

There is a couple of things I'm trying to stay away from high price synthetics which AMSOIl happens to be one of the most expensive. Then having mail order everything because getting things shipped here seem to take forever. I'm looking for a common place replacement fluid that not having to special order or ship to the house. Like RedLine is another I could run but again very limited supply locally.When Abe said 50 WT Synthetic GL-4 I knew right away what type that was. I also verified by asking again the transmission fluid which he said yes. Reason its only sold in 5 gallon buckets because Eaton/Fuller transmissions are pretty big and take quite a bit of fluid. What I'm getting at if this works out then there will be a common fluid that is way way cheaper than AMSOil. Last quotes I got was like $108-180 for 5 gallon pail I sure that has beat AMSOil hands down in price. Also I can have it on my door step by tonight if I order it. I've got a free freight system from the local NAPA.

29 minutes ago, dripley said:

While I dont use it, it sounds like a great product though not great enough for me to change my Dino ways. 

Dave it still a synthetic just not a AMSOIl... I fine with using synthetics but I've learned that you don't have to buy a name brand and pay name brand prices. AMSOIl being one of the most expensive lubricants around. Also all of it has to be mail ordered. There is the two minuses in the AMSOil line I personally don't like. I don't want to wait weeks for fluids to come nor pay high price for fluid because the label says AMSOil.

Also the 5 gallon pail will give me 5 transmission fills. Takes 1 gallon to fill totally full on a NV4500. So $27 to $45 a GALLON still way cheaper than Castrol Syntorq at $23 to $27 a QUART! Locally available in most NAPA store, price is lower, can't ask for anything more...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner
9 hours ago, dripley said:

But I can still buy that off the shelf whenever I need some.

Exactly.

9 hours ago, dripley said:

Price and availability is another big consideration for sure.

That's what I'm looking at... Even if I cut my fluid change interval back and changed it more often it still cheap.

From Mobil's spec sheet...

The outstanding performance of this product is confirmed by its approval for heavy-duty transmissions covered by Eaton Roadranger and Extended Warranties of 750,000 miles, with oil drains of 500,000 miles. It is also approved by Mack against its TO-A Plus 500,000 mile extended service classification. Mobil Delvac Synthetic Transmission Fluid 50 meets or exceeds the requirements of the API service MT-1 EP gear oil service classification and is recommened by ExxonMobil for use in transmissions and gear cases where API Service GL-1 through GL-4 gear protection is required.

Ours requires the GL-4 lubricant. 500k change intervals... I'll still do 100k most likely.

Ill be very interested in hearing how this fluid performs for you! I hope it treats your newly rebuilt trans well. I would love to know I could change my trans fluid for $40 rather than $100! I'm also interested to see how cold weather shifting is affected. All that said, I'm curious as to why your not wanting to use the substitute from Quad 4x4? I assume because it's not locally available....

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Look like 50wt is going to be good selection for my nv4500 might be good one for your g56 transmission.:thumb1:

That's a good link to keep around! Hopefully it makes the 4500 purr like the original.

Playing around with NV4500 oil is nothing new.  If you want to do it right run the syntorque or amsoil, Redline is proven to eat syncros.

The first and last time I had someone rebuild a NV4500 for me he told me to run 50W with a little lucas or he wouldn't warranty it.  Long story short I re-rebuilt it, and put syntorque in.

Good luck with your testing.

51 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Check this PDF out. Some great information! 

http://www.carbonitecummins.com/Documents/Trans%20Oil%20Comparison.pdf

This is great information guys! I was considering Amsoil because both my uncle and cousin have been running it for 165k+ but I'm going to give 50wt a whirl! Well now @cowboy has me :think:

Edited by BBHD
Miss quote