• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Leaf Spring Help

I walk to my truck the other day and found that one of my rear leafs on the was missing a 4 inch piece out of it. I am looking for opinions on which way to go. Rock auto as new one anywhere from 150-250 a side, the local spring shop said that they would replace the broken spring and the same spring on the other side along with re curving them for 600. Or I could have local shop, deaver, or atlas spring build me a set that would get rid of the factory block which would cost me around 1200-1500. I would like to know as anyone run leaf that have got rid of the factory leafs and put in after market leafs. Along with when you replaced the leafs did you notice any difference in ride, how the truck handled or lost load capacity?

In my opinion anytime you increase arch on leafsprings, ride quality goes down if you would keep it same load rating. Unless you do shackle flip it gets better, but I also think that it works your springs harder. If it was me, and I go for reliability vs jacked up on big tires  (I do understand you're keeping ride height same, just thinking of getting rid of blocks) I would use a more flatter spring or stock ones and not as many leafs as long as it holds truck up with little extra waight to spaire and also adding air bags for towing. This way you may have a batter ride when not towing and air bags for when you need them. Just thinking out loud. 

I thought about doing a shackle flip but I wasn't sure is how it would change the rake of the truck with my goose neck trailer. I don't want to travel down the road with my headlights point at the sky, I would like to keep the factory rake. I have seen a few truck with carlis springs but they say that it would add a 1 to 2 inch of lift to the rear.  Do you think that if I got rid of the factory block would It cause more axle wrap? 

Edited by Explosives87

Many ways to go but what ever you choose do both sides the same. The only way I would do just one side is if I replaced the whole spring pack with an OEM pack. Cheapest way would be to have the spring shop just replace the broken spring, problem is if one broke the rests may not be far behind. I used to do a ton of spring work when I worked at Inland truck parts and service years back.

• Like 1