• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

advise for an exhaust brake.

So i'm in the market for an exhaust brake. as i'm a total noob at these, can you explain what the good points and bad points are of the different types. or just recommend a good one that won't fail.

maybe some links to some good reading.  remember i have an auto, now built with billet parts.

interesting, do these turbos have an arm that move externally? one that a cable actuator might be able to manipulate? so no software and i could control it at will?

i'm still thinking more simpler. after watching a few videos i really don't think it's what i want. just an old school exhaust brake.

it's just an arm on the housing.  The actuator controls the arm using a motor.  

Lots of guys use a mech setup on the vgt.  it is simpler but you loose a lot of really nice tuning ability.  

If you want simple mech EB forget everything  I posted.  The VGT is a really nice turbo though, at least for me.  my thread in the 2nd gen section has some data logging with how it runs.

There are a lot of different choices between compressed air actuated, vacuum actuated, and even fully electric.  The two names you hear of the most are BD and Pac-brake.  The Pac-brake is compressed air actuated so that adds another level of complication.  The BD unit is vacuum actuated so that has it's perks.  Both those brands have a pressure regulator of sorts instead of your typical hole in the flapper, this give you better braking at low RPM's.

And of course there is the option of building your own.

Also, once you have one, you'll never go back.  I use mine all the time with normal driving unloaded.  It's also a good idea to use it frequently to prevent any components from becoming clogged with soot and such.

Edited by Cowboy

• Owner

Exhaust brake... I use mine all the time I do 90% of all my stopping with it and the last 10% which is at speeds lower than 20 MPH. So my service brakes last will over 180-200k miles. Exhaust brakes are not just a trailer or towing thing...

This video is subtitled with the actions I'm performing. Take notice to the brake pedal point. This is also empty truck no trailer.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

AFIK the BD and PXRB are both air pressure actuated on the CR's. The Jacobs and Banks are the only ones I know of that are vacuum for the CR's. 

I would get the PXRB. It will work well with your pre-06 Auto and has good stopping power at lower rpms. 

My Jacobs has been great but it's not an option for your year with the Auto. 

• Like 3