• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Radiator support removal?

• Owner

Got the cross brace out. It is a PITA to do by yourself. As for this engine I'm going to pull the head to get it out. Either the pan or the head. Head is easier for me right now and less messy. Re-installing I might have the shop eave the pan loose for the reinstall. 2WD 1 Ton truck.

0620161031.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not much help but during a rad swap on mine I noticed the frame side of the cross was cut to allow that cross member to come out. They basically cut the front wall of the frame. Makes me wonder what had to be done to the truck. I also found the driver side engine through bolt loose. as in just the nut was hand threaded on the engine would lift the bolt out of the cradle.

How do you spread the fenders apart? Hi-lift jack between the rails?

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 0:44 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Ron over at Northwest Machine.

http://www.northwestmotormachine.com/about.html

As for removal I don't see how you can pull a full engine with the cab on there isn't enough room to clear the pan before hitting cowl.

Post some more pics if you can:popcorn: I`ve often contemplated WTF it takes if I ever had to R&R??

• Owner

Sorry I don't have any pictures on the way out. I was told it will come out if you can get the chain set up just right. It will bare squeeze through the frame and cowling. I still don't see how being I took the valve cover off, #5 and #6 rockers and injectors out and still snagged #5 intake push rod and bent it getting the engine out as it slid the oil pan across the cross member.  :shrug:

As for right now the truck is sitting in the yard rather gutless right now. The bed of the truck is filled with all the miscellaneous parts and pieces that you got to remove to get it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just some idle thoughts on your project... Is there a significant difference in pulling a 3rd gen engine vs a 2nd gen?

I seem to remember following a thread from a 2nd gen owner who chronicled his whole project and IIRC his removal was pretty strait forward?.. He may have already had the head removed though.  its been awhile back.