• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mystery oil leak after vp change

Anyone experience an oil leak after changing out your vp44?

it seems to be on the driver side front of the engine but the fan is blowing it everywhere. I've used degreaser and a pressure washer on the motor/underneath and no luck. 

Seems like mose of it is ontop of the power steering pump but I've also seen a drip behind the harmonic balancer (running along side the motor and dropping there I

believe).

anyone experience anything similar it's frustrating me a whole bunch 

2 hours ago, Gregb13 said:

just remembering I have a vacuum line that is broken  (one that runs across the top of the firewall. Is it possible for this to cause excessive crankcase pressure?

That is possible. I can't confirm for sure, but I have read that the vacuum pump vents into the crankcase.

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Vacuum leaks will increase crank pressure, thus blowing more oil out of the breather.

Could you please explain it better for me, I thought vacuum pump was an external unit and has nothing to do with the engine only for accessories. Funny thing is I just discovered a vacuum leak on my truck, next to firewall by the check valve had old soft rubber hose. It rubbed through where it touches the dipstick. 

• Owner

As the vacuum pump creates the vacuum it vents the air into the gear case. So if you have a vacuum leak then the vacuum pump turns into a small air compressor and pumping air into the gear case increasing the blow by gases and possibly adding blowing oil to the list too. So when the vacuum system is leak free there is no air pumped into the gear case. Also the engine oil is fed into the vacuum pump it increase sealing of the sliding vanes that oil drains back into the gear case as well. It's slung off the gear as well lubing the gears in the case.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

As the vacuum pump creates the vacuum it vents the air into the gear case. So if you have a vacuum leak then the vacuum pump turns into a small air compressor and pumping air into the gear case increasing the blow by gases and possibly adding blowing oil to the list too. So when the vacuum system is leak free there is no air pumped into the gear case. Also the engine oil is fed into the vacuum pump it increase sealing of the sliding vanes that oil drains back into the gear case as well. It's slung off the gear as well lubing the gears in the case.

That makes perfect sense, I can't belive I forgot that vanes are lubricated by oil and that's why you have to clean them when doing a rebuilt on vacuum pump. For some reason I was thinking it was just creating vacuum all in its own and had nothing to do with engine. I suppose them vanes would wear out pretty quick if not lubed. 

The VP ties directly into the timing gears where loads of oil is moving about.  In order to keep the oil from escaping the VP has an o-ring which seals the hole it fits in.  If that o-ring is damaged then oil will obviously leak all over.  Since this leak happened after that replacement, I'd say this could be the problem. :thumbup2:

Edited by KATOOM