• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering Gear Adjustment

Yeah I'm in a bad/unexpected situation right now because of having to go to the 17" wheels for my tie rod upgrade. I have 3 decent Mickey Thompson ATZ in stock size, but then the oddball dynapro mt which has a lot of tread left. I only feel safe running the oddball on the front because of my LS diff in the back.....right now I'm trying to decided wether to by one dynapro mt so I have 2 sets of 2, or 1 Mickey Thompson so I have a complete set, or 2 of whatever I would buy if I was buying all four. Probably cooper discover ATP or at3....any opinions? Lol

Or should I just throw the odd ball on the back? Will it hurt the LS diff to have different tires? The are the same size of course...

The diameter of the tire is what will hurt it. They should be close to the same. They could be different tire brands. I believe some difference is OK but dont know how much. I had to replace a tire once on a set with maybe 15k on it once. DT told it would not hurt the diff. I ran it until the other 3 were gone with no apparent harm. That was about 12 years or so ago. I am sure someone else will know for sure.

• Like 1

Well we took some measurements of the tires to see just how close the hankook is to the mickey thompsons. 

Front Driver: MT 7/32's

Front Passenger: Hankook 9/32's

Rear Driver: MT 11/32's

Rear Passenger: MT 10/32's

We measured the MT w/10/32's and the Hankook and they were both the same. I measured and got 31 3/4's and my buddy measured and got 31 1/2. So I would say they are pretty darn close. So what do you all think, am I safe putting the Hankook on the rear with a MT? Or will I risk it hurting my LS Diff?

Oh btw incase the tread pattern matters the MT's are this

Unknown.jpg

and the Hankook is this

61L07CYIv6L._SY300_.jpg

Let me know what you guys think

We measured across the tires rather than top to bottom so we wouldn't have the squat to deal with. Is it critical enough for this to need to do the rolling diameter measurement for this? I mean the tires are the same size...why do you say it's more critical to have the matching ones in the front? I thought the LS diff was the big thing to worry about? I want to put the matching ones on the front now for the steering and the oddball on the back, I'm just worried about the diff because the tires are different brands and tread patterns. 

Edited by leathermaneod

The different brands and tread patterns wont matter except in handling. Unless you are racing around you probably would not notice any difference. I should have stated circumference  instead of diameter. Air pressure could make a big difference in diameter measured on the weighted vehicle. Bill seems to know a lot more on this than I, so I will defer to his expertise. 

• Like 2

Ah pressure is one thing I did not think of! I'll have to put the same pressure in both and check circumference. How close would they need to be? I would think they'd have to be close being they are the same size....

Edited by leathermaneod

Check out the dent I found in my oil pan when I had the axle lowered to change control arm bushing and adjust castor.

IMG_1216.JPGIMG_1218.JPGIMG_1219.JPG

Im not sure but after looking at it today I'm guessing it was probably caused by that cable at some point. That's my CAD locker.

or maybe it hit th axle at some point. Can't believe I never noticed it beforeIMG_1220.JPG 

Edited by leathermaneod

• Staff

Are you talking about Mickey Master Mechanic  in the mountains of Idaho?

He doesn't like to work on them unless they are spotless.

Leathermaneod, how can the axle get pushed back like that? Seems impossible but the marks  on the pan don't lie. The trans pressure line is pushed back too. Should check for leaks.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Staff
1 hour ago, dripley said:

Thats him. My favorite potato head. I am gathering parts. The first thing I bought was a 5 gallon bucket of orange hand cleaner and 4 50 count packs of shop towels. 

Lol... to bad he will read this as you should stuff a couple rubber chickens along side the engine somewhere for him to find lol.

@JAG1, thats not a trans line, its the cable for my CAD disconnect. I'm not sure if the axle got pushed back, cant see how as the control arms prevent that, or if maybe someone let the engine rock back with the trans out? I'm really not sure what to think of it...I'm not planning on doing anything about it though lol not anytime soon at least. Unless someone gives me a good reason that says I need to...I cant see it hurting anything though as the pickup tube is at the other end...

• Like 1