• Announcements

• Mopar1973Man

Quadzilla Tunes   06/12/2017

QUADZILLA TUNE REPOSITORY - There is now a Quadzilla tune download area. When you submit a tune file to the download area it will automatically create a forum topic that allows discussion of your tune. So export your tune and upload it to the site. Then we all can help out in building better tunes. Check it out gang...
    • Mopar1973Man

911 Support Group   06/22/2017

Hey Gang, I've got the 911 support group database back up and running once again. It's listed in the 911 support category. It will allow members to list their contact information and location so other have a listed of members to call upon in the time of need. So if you wish to support other member please stop by and add your listing into the database. https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/911-support.html/contacts/
TFaoro

Quadzilla Adrenaline V2 Testing

1,164 posts in this topic

I accidentally ran 23* today in a situation where lvl 0 wanted 18*. Saw an immediate drop in boost from around 12psi to around 8psi, with a noticable drop in both EGT's and canbus fuel. Not too bad of a rattle either. This leads me back to my previous assessment that my fuel setup is retarding final injection timing. So my timing numbers might be significantly higher than others with the same end result (peak combustion at 15* ATDC ideally)

First time in my life I am happy to see the emissions test notice in the mail.  

Time to give the state money.  I will be curious how much power I put down with my %100 clean tune.

2 people like this

Pull up to the test stand with 150% canbus and some wiretap, leave a cloud. And then set it to level 1. Lol.

58 minutes ago, kzimmer said:

Pull up to the test stand with 150% canbus and some wiretap, leave a cloud. And then set it to level 1. Lol.

Be careful with that... I've got a good contact with Ada County smog testing in Boise ID that I've been talking too. There is one customer that did something similar. He came in with the tuner at 50% and ran the test and passed the test. Then he cranked up the tuner and smoked out the tech. The reported him and denied his future registration of his truck for being a :smart::moon: ...

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Be careful with that... I've got a good contact with Ada County smog testing in Boise ID that I've been talking too. There is one customer that did something similar. He came in with the tuner at 50% and ran the test and passed the test. Then he cranked up the tuner and smoked out the tech. The reported him and denied his future registration of his truck for being a :smart::moon: ...

I know I kid I kid. Hahaha that's hilarious though. I almost wish there were emissions tests where I live, just for the satisfaction of passing.

In a way, I wish it was statewide (Idaho) for all the lame punk kids and their truck would have to clean their junk up and quit blowing large clouds of smoke. Down in Boise I run across Ford and Chevy constantly wanting to roll a big cloud on everyone. What's more, fun is whipping then from light to light and not making any smoke at all.

2 people like this

They just signed in a bill making "rolling coal" a primary offense here in Colorado.   So we will see where we end up with any amount of smoke.  

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, stumblinhorse said:

They just signed in a bill making "rolling coal" a primary offense here in Colorado.   So we will see where we end up with any amount of smoke.  

"Welcome to Colorado, where we roll doobies, not coal".

Posted (edited)

That's basically true, @kzimmer.  

It's only a $100 fine, which I personally think is hilariously low for how much hype there was for this bill to pass

Edited by trreed
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Question about the canbus fuel level (0-4095). Assuming no wiretap, is this number an absolute value of how much fuel is being commanded? Are there any other factors at play that dictate volume of fuel injected besides the canbus fuel message?

For example, if I'm driving at 100 km/h in 3rd gear, overdrive turned off, my commanded canbus fuel level might be 700. Let it shift into overdrive, and canbus fuel might jump to 850. EGT's might increase 150-250 degrees F as well. Logic tells me I'm using more fuel. Downshift and get the RPM's up over 2000 instead of 1650. 

Any other factors I'm missing? Does RPM play a roll?

Thank you,

-Kole

Edited by kzimmer

Canbus is the duration fueling command.   Keep in mind 2000 canbus is more fuel at 2500rpm compared to 1500 tomorrow, because the engine is spinning faster.  

It is commons to see canbus fuel command drop at higher revs because the engine is spinning faster thus more combustion strokes per second.

4 hours ago, kzimmer said:

Question about the canbus fuel level (0-4095). Assuming no wiretap, is this number an absolute value of how much fuel is being commanded? Are there any other factors at play that dictate volume of fuel injected besides the canbus fuel message?

For example, if I'm driving at 100 km/h in 3rd gear, overdrive turned off, my commanded canbus fuel level might be 700. Let it shift into overdrive, and canbus fuel might jump to 850. EGT's might increase 150-250 degrees F as well. Logic tells me I'm using more fuel. Downshift and get the RPM's up over 2000 instead of 1650. 

Any other factors I'm missing? Does RPM play a roll?

Thank you,

-Kole

It's true the use of direct gear in your case is producing higher MPG's. I see the same thing driving in 4th gear (direct) where the CANBus fuel is lower and EGT's are lower and my it shows as about 2-5 MPG gain. Then shifting to 5th (Overdrive) then the EGT's rise, CANBus Fuel goes up and MPG's are reduced.

Excellent info guys, thanks very much. I wonder if it one could calculate this linearly to compare fuelling in different gears/constant speeds.

Example, 600 fuel units / 2000 rpm = 0.3 BS fuel units per rpm.

800 fuel units / 1600 rpm = 0.5 BS fuel units per rpm.

I know this is BS math but you see how I'm thinking? The higher egt at lower rpm may however tell the story anyway. I could also probably use the factory mpg lie-o-meter to see the difference in instantaneous fuel consumption. Not an accurate number, but the difference would be useful in this situation.

Like I'm using OBDLink LX for fuel data its not exact but darn close for the most part but gives me feedback from the ECM of the fueling map and how its performing with said fueling and timing. It's at least some data an idea of how things are working.