• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Overhead console

Hey guys. I'm looking to swap my overhead console out of my 99 and into my 02 before I finally sell the 99. Yea I know, I'm swapping everything I can! Lol! 

Anyways, is it just a simple one for one swap on the console? Maybe a plug already there? Or would need to take the plug along in the swap? Figure I'll have to swap the front sensor under the hood as well. 

If this was just something I was trying to piece together I wouldn't even bother but, DTE, a better trip meter and outside temp would be nice (if that would even work). So if anyone's done this swap or knows more about it, please chime in.

• Owner

I've got a PanaPacific indoor, outdoor, alarm clock.

http://www.panapacific.com/catalog/truck-components/pp604195/

As for the trip computer I use my tablet and OBDLink LX dongle.

http://www.obdlink.com/

As for compass I use my Garmin 42LM.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/previous models/nuvi-42lm/prod120958.html

I'd never even mess with a factory overhead idiot because of the lack of accuracy. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I really dont know if it will work.  The pcm is what drives it all, I think, and if the pcm wasn't programmed for the overhead then it likely wont get any messages.  

You can try but I am guessing you will see a "no bus" message up there.  

FYI my overhead is about spot on.  within 1 mpg +-.

I did this swap on my 02. 

Sad to say the harness for the computer is not there. You'd have to remove the harness from each truck and swap them. It runs down the A pillar and plugs in under the dash. The PCM doesn't need flashed or anything; all the info is there. It does involve pulling down the front of the headliner, but you don't have to completely remove it. A bit of a pain, but well worth it IMO. If you have any other questions about the swap just ask.

So the over head I'm looking to swap, I don't think the compass has ever worked. It always says it needs to be calibrated, I tried the figure 8 deal but didn't clear the calibration up. Would that still be there if I swapped?

I know the trip meter can be pretty far off but does that also effect the DTE read outs?

Is it difficult removing the head liner and getting it to go back in nicely? I don't want to mess it up! Haha

• Owner
1 minute ago, notlimah said:

I know the trip meter can be pretty far off but does that also effect the DTE read outs?

Absolutely Yes... It will be way off.

1 minute ago, notlimah said:

So the over head I'm looking to swap, I don't think the compass has ever worked. It always says it needs to be calibrated, I tried the figure 8 deal but didn't clear the calibration up. Would that still be there if I swapped?

Most likely yes. Being it was not functional then moving truck it will most likely be same way when you install it again.

The only data that the overhead gets is the fuel level, GPH flow rates, and speed from the CCD network. As for the compass its internal to the console. 

Myself I wouldn't even bother... Invest a lot of time installing a display that won't even work or even be close to right. 

Ah ok, I got bad gauge on the figure out nonsense then lol

I'll probably look into this a little more when I get time. Honestly seems like the hardest part is getting the headliner out back in without screwing it up too bad. That and taking my a-pillar and gauges just to run a wire down it! Ugh! :doh:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the harness is the complete body harness and is the one that goes through the floor as well I put a 01 sport half ton cab on my 99 and there were quite a few quirks I ran into.... one thing I know for sure is if it says cal. It's not likely worth the time because you will need to replace the overhead module and computer and they are not cheap my sits up there turned off because at 270k cal. Came on then odo. Stopped then mpg and dte went all whacky by 300k mpg will sit at 22 for awhile then it will start going up steady to 99 then reset to zero and do nothing then a week later it'll read 22 again funny thing is my truck averages about 19.5 so it's never ever right.

the functioning compartments on the other hand are a worth while change I bought a new one for that reason and if you're okay with a broken clip and light spring I have a extra assembly laying around here for the truck you're selling:thumbup2:

In short change the console leave the wiring behind :2cents:

Edited by WiscoRedkneck
I forgot how to type

• Owner

What I don't get is the trouble of transferring from one vehicle to another for what? Outside temp and compass? We already know the trip computer won't be right. Strange enough people continue to keep installing them in their trucks. Like I get more data off my Garmin 42LM than the overhead compass. I can get degrees, direction, miles to destination, directions to the destination, etc. As for the trip computer if you are not completely stock and everything just right the data is skewed. Being MPG equal speed divided by GPH flow rate. (MPG = MPH/GPH) So being that most have fueling mods the GPH flow rate is skewed and if you are running a oversized tires the distance or speed is skewed so the MPG and DTE is all wrong. Like using both ScanGauge II and the OBDLink LX both provide much more for trip data than the stock trip computer. There is no way to calibrate that feature to oversize tires or larger injectors. So now then outside temp that's OK. Like myself, I got a wonderful gift long ago. That PanaPacific Gauge is the next thing above that overhead display. Inside and outside temperatures, history max & min for both inside and outside, set alarm temps for either inside or out. Then it's got a clock and alarm clock as well so if you want to take a quick nap and alerted say in 30 minutes or in a hour you can set the alarm clock. 

I'll admit none of this will fit in the overhead spot but there is lot of other options that will provide much better data and information than the stock overhead computer not that expensive but the data data is more valuable.