• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Alternative snow plow

hex0rz

• 1 month later...

Well fellas, the weakness of the plow tended to show it's ugly side last night. Friday through Saturday we ended up getting a healthy 12 inches over night. 

This was the most challenging snow fall removal yet. I spent 4 hours out in the truck getting everything cleared. I even ended up asking the neighbor for help. Although he wasn't able to do a whole lot either. His tractor was being challenged just as me i think. 

I've got so much snow piled up everywhere in running out of room! The neighbor said he thinks he'll be able to keep a 6 pack cold through July!

I had to make multiple passes to clear everything. It did do well pushing but like i said it was beginning to show it's limitations. The drawback is it can't scrape down low since it is rubber and not metal. It also doesn't have enough weight to it to keep it from floating when you hit some more dense snow. 

Therein lies a problem. Upon pushing all this snow i have slowly built up layerings of snow which have turned to ice. Anywhere i haven't done this at is still loose snow. So like my driveway, i have to stay in the center or I'll go into ruts on one side or the other. 

The majority of my time was battling this area trying to move snow and negotiating through the ruts. So with a combination of having the blade loaded with snow and the ruts and ice, 4 low wasn't enough. So i chained up the front tires. It improved but then the rear got squirrely.

That's when i cued the neighbor for help. He helped for about an hour and eventually he ended up being the one pushing the snow to me so i could push it into a pile at the base of my driveway. 

I have been happy with the purchase. It does good in most applications. But if you get dumped on like this or get heavy, wet snow, you guys are, right, it is not as effective.

I don't regret buying it, but I'm also thinking about returning it before my 6 months are up. I really need a plow that can discharge it's load like Mike has said because despite having the ability to turn the blade one way or another, i can't cut edges and displace it as i do it. 

Anytime i try to ensure the path stays wide the plow won't move it, but instead sucks me into the snow. Going head on with it is a better way of managing. 

So like i said, I'm going to try and return it and now i found a different plow but still light duty enough to not adversely affect the truck. 

I'm thinking about the Meyer home plow. It is a step up from this and is a real plow but still mounts to a receiver hitch. Not too much more expensive and i can stow it away easy. I think it will fit my application better. What say you guys?

Eventually, i want a bobcat to do all this sort of stuff but I'm still a little ways from that!

It definitely looks like the Meyers will be an upgrade from what you have now but I believe that upgrade will be its biggest downfall. What I mean is if it does scrape and your winging a foot of heavy snow and catch an ice ridge or anything solid the the 4 tons of cummins your driving isn't going to slow down.

I'm just imagining  putting a big load out on the end of the blade and how much leverage that is going to be against the 2" center mount. I think you'll find the weak link in that plow fairly easily. Better suited for an SUV in my opinion. 

Whats wrong with a newer conventional straight blade? A slightly used one will cost about the same as what your looking at and doesn't take up any more room. The mount is easy, just drive into it click in a few pins and  a plug. As long as your driving sensibly it won't beat up your truck. 

• Like 2

most of my plowing is done with a 1984 chevy blazer with a 1979 western straight edge hydraulic blade, old equipment but the investment and maintenance is minimal, I have paid for my set up many times over plowing out neighbors and subdivisions. but when the windrows get to tight its all tractor work from their.

like stated above the plow sub frame mounts permanently to your vehicle and connecting and disconnecting plow is just a matter of a minute or two.

I do think a skid steer with a 4-way straight blade is the ultimate driveway and parking lot snow plow, but that could be a big investment for the typical home owner. If the snows we have been getting is going to be the new norm, I am going to be upgrading the 26 horse tractor to something in the 50 horse range, powerful but yet small enough for tight driveway work and easy transport.

tractor plow.jpg

Edited by 01cummins4ever
  • Like 1