• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Alternative snow plow

hex0rz

Plowing with the 4 Wheeler was manageable last year, but less than ideal. I could typically plow the drive out in about an hour or so, depending on conditions. 

But I'm a consumer of DR power equipment and gave grown fond to them. They're offering a plow you can use on a vehicle called the redi plow. I like the concept of it and is priced well. I doubt i would consider it in a commercial application, but i think it would serve me well with what im demanding. 

It's a lightweight plow and can be quickly disconnected from the vehicle when necessary. It's a floating blade design. Last year, because i live off the county road on private, its not maintained. To be able to lower it down on the way to work, plow my path to the county road, then stow it and do the reverse on the way back home appeals to me. 

I'm thinking about taking advantage of their 6 month trial offer through winter and put it to the test! Makes allot of sense. 

Anyone have experience on it or input? I know there seems to be other plows out that look just like it but with DR i have their support and the advantage of a trial offer. Everyone that reviews it seems to really like it. 

I have  used a very similar(if not the same) plow branded as a snow sport. It worked decent until the snow is deeper or builds up too much then it tends to stay on top and not move as much snow. It's worth a try. There are a few styles of receiver mounted plows out there. 

Are you planning on using it on your Dodge? My first concern would be if you catch something solid it'll bend or break easily with the weight of the cummins behind it. It looks to be best suited for a Jeep or light duty pickup.

I know a few people that had similar plows and they work ok but were frustrating to use, mainly because they are all manual adjustment.

For that kind of money you can get a pretty nice power angle straight blade set up. Yes they are harder to take off and on but it's going to be way way nicer to plow with. Just my opinion you know what's going to work best for you. 

Edited by Buzzinhalfdozen

• 1 month later...

The day has come!

I got it a month or so ago. been itching to try it. got it on tonight as its the first snow. it's dumping on us right now. when i went out to start trying it out, there was only a couple inches on the ground. by the time i got done plowing, my tracks disappeared. there's probably 6" of the virgin out there right now. 

All in all i say it did well! i plowed the whole loop for the community in the same time it takes me to plow the driveway with the 4 Wheeler...

20161210_045541.jpg

I don't imagine i see myself doing a whole lot of plowing. i may take a few side jobs if need be but I'll have to cherry pick them. 

Got more experience plowing tonight on the loop. me and the wife are convinced it was a good investment compared to me fighting plowing with the 4 Wheeler. it'll still stick around, but i won't plow with it again unless i need it for some tight areas or something happens to the blade. 

• 2 weeks later...

On some local forums here guys were posting the limits they ran into with that style snow pusher "They are not an actual plow" with the heavy and deep snow we have had, a couple have since upgraded to a regular full sized plow now lol.

Here is one such fellow.

snow.jpg

Talking about a foot to 18 inches more here on Christmas day with 50+ mph winds again. Just got done clearing the yard of the last 3 feet of snow over the last 3 weeks.:doh:

Edited by Wild and Free

(THIS IS NOT A SNOWFALL MAP). This is a QPF forecast. This shows how much liquid precipitation could fall. It's a bit safer to post this, instead of snow estimates. A wide area of North and South Dakota have the potential to receive well over an inch of melted precipitation. Depending on snow ratios, that area could receive 12 to 16 inches (or even higher). I'll wait for the Weather Service to make that call, and they should be releasing official snowfall estimates tomorrow once the storm actually makes landfall on the West Coast. 
The bottom line is this: The Northern Plains has unobstructed access to deep Gulf moisture that will be surging north into the storm. I mean, a lot of moisture. This massive moisture surge will make this storm wide in terms of areal coverage. 
Winds mixed with that heavy snow will make travel nearly impossible. Gusts over 60 mph are a real concern for Sunday into Monday.
Right now, snow should begin early Sunday morning between 3 and 6 am. The snow will expand and intensify as the Low is kicked out of Colorado and sent our direction. All day Sunday (Christmas) should be hazardous in terms of travel.

You are welcome to come visit next week and try it out after a real snow storm lol.

No automatic alt text available.

Edited by Wild and Free

10 hours ago, CSM said:

I miss working in weather like that up there.  It was fun. 

If it was anything like the last one there is absolutely no work happening outside at all.

Can't see your hand in front of your face "Literally" in these conditions. Snow coming at you horizontally at 50+ mph will disorientate you and makes one dizzy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wild and Free said:

If it was anything like the last one there is absolutely no work happening outside at all.

Can't see your hand in front of your face "Literally" in these conditions. Snow coming at you horizontally at 50+ mph will disorientate you and makes one dizzy.

Mabe not that bad.  We had visibility of 10 ft or so.  Most of us were in vans or cabbed up as long as the equipment ran.  

We had fuel, sand, water, and grub.  The hot oilers were the concern as they were nearly out of propane after a couple days.  

I just wish i wasnt salary on those jobbs.  

• Like 1

I agree it has its limitations. But for a 1500 dollar plow, it has done real well so far. We had some heavier snow recently and it did fine. 

I know buying it, it wasn't going to be a silver bullet. But if you can keep on top of the snowfall, it'll do great. But if you get tons of it dumping on you like your experiencing over there, you'll be living in your truck staying on top of it. 

For now, its just a stop gap until the great and glorious day comes that i can buy my dream snow removal setup. (Deuce and a half with a pto snow thrower)