• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Can anyone solve my mystery clunk

It is a "larger" clunk from a component with a lot of mass or weight behind it, or is it a "smaller" clunk that sounds like something lightweight tapping?  Meaning, like someone is under there with a 10 lb sledge or with a big screwdriver?

And is the noise audible enough and often enough that your can video the clunk? :thumbup2:

The clunk feels as if the axle is shifting.  it is by no means a same clunk.  Had  I not been under the truck 1000 times looking for it I would be worried the axle was going to fall off.  

But I can unload the font suspension and pry, wiggle, hit, kick, bounce, etc and everything is tight.

body mount? shock bushing loose?

i had the lower shock bolt fall out of my 04 when i first got it. sounded horrible.

i havent read the thread, maybe i should....

ok so i've read the thread.. more thoughts. have you done the PCV re rout? is it hitting the cab?

the t-case mounts letting it bump the cab? is your floor shifter? enough clearance?

bump stops?

wheel bearings?

My best guess at this point is my body mounts are fubar'd and that is the issue.  I have checked and replaced the bushings, but who knows.

Shocks bolts are tight.

pcv reroute, but it had the clunk before and after and while it fell off lol.

tcase was hitting the cab, but I fixed that, clunk before and after.  

bump stops are looking good, plus there is no way the suspenesion would flex enough to hit hte bump stops at 5 mph. 

Wheel bearings are new and tight.

Edited by Me78569

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

The clunk feels as if the axle is shifting.  it is by no means a same clunk.  Had  I not been under the truck 1000 times looking for it I would be worried the axle was going to fall off.  

But I can unload the font suspension and pry, wiggle, hit, kick, bounce, etc and everything is tight.

So then I'm going to assume that the clunk noise is constant as you drive around and not just every once in awhile on certain bumps.....

The dry shift linkage clunk was like someone lightly tapping the floor board under the steer column with  small ball peen hammer, not a big clunk just an annoying one that varied upon road conditions, packed grease into the areas i posted took care of it for me. I have also seen where the adjustable steering links were not adjusted to where the tie rod ends were in a neutral 90* position and they would cause a clunk as well.

Based on what you've checked and replaced I wouldn't think it's a driveline/suspension issue. You should start looking at weird things like:

Loose or cracked crossmembers. 

Broken spot welds on the cab mounts or floor boards. 

Steering column bushing. 

Lift pump dangling by the fuel lines and banging against the frame. It happens...

Spare tire banging around, sound can travel in strange ways. 

Full coverage and a well planned fire. 

Something rolling around under the seat. Sometimes we overlook the simple things!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buzzinhalfdozen said:

Based on what you've checked and replaced I wouldn't think it's a driveline/suspension issue. You should start looking at weird things like:

Loose or cracked crossmembers. 

Broken spot welds on the cab mounts or floor boards. 

Steering column bushing. 

Lift pump dangling by the fuel lines and banging against the frame. It happens...

Spare tire banging around, sound can travel in strange ways. 

Full coverage and a well planned fire. 

Something rolling around under the seat. Sometimes we overlook the simple things!

Can't be telling people my plan in public hahaha.

34 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

have a go pro? mount it up an some odd places and drive around a bit.

Nah I don't really care enough to put more money into it.  If the wheels haven't fallen off yet I have accept it and keep driving.

I really think it is just ovaled out holes and beat up body mounts.

6 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

You have an auto as well..................putting a pattern together here. Have you checked the shift linkage rod like I posted about above?

I have not checked that, ill try looking at it this weekend, i did notice when i had my tranny rebuilt by a local shop it did it alot more..

6 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I have thought about the coal springs also, maybe the rubber isolators are bad? 

Track bar is tight, check and rechecked, even used a jack to tighten the bolt down haha.... I've had someone crank on the wheel back and forth and I watch the track bar. 

It is a Rayebestos pro track bar along with all the other parts under the truck.  

Replaced all of the bushings in that assembly haha.

it feels like it comes from the front end most of the time,but then i get it where my right foot and tranny housing is. i have checked everything on that side, the only thing that i haven't check is the wiring housing under the driver door/quarter panel , i know that sits kinda in a cubby but i would see it moving that much,  i need to check my brake lines, tranny cooler lines

the coil springs keep coming to mind everytime i think about it. i have checked all my cab mounts, everything turns up tight and no cracks that i can visually see. 

13 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Can't be telling people my plan in public hahaha.

Nah I don't really care enough to put more money into it.  If the wheels haven't fallen off yet I have accept it and keep driving.

I really think it is just ovaled out holes and beat up body mounts.

I'm sure you're right.  But just to be sure, I think you should drop your truck off with me for a week or so.  That way I can drive it around and determine what the noise is.  You know.....for the betterment of the forum.

I had clunk in mine for while after changing the shocks. Turned out to be one of the front u joints. Of course i would think you would have noticed that when you did the wheel bearings. Thought it was weird that mine only clunked and did not vibrate or something while spinnig, just clunked on a bumpy road. The bearing completely gone out on cup and nothing but crumbs in the opposite one.

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

ujoints up front are new too, I forgot I replaced them.

I did not see it in your list but figured is was a long shot since you replaced the unit bearings. Found my bad one when doing brakes a few months ago.

stopped my clunking.

Edited by dripley

1 hour ago, fuze24v said:

Nick, have you checked your caireer bearing or yokes on your driveline? I just replaced my bearing but I don't think the drivelines have ever been changed 

New carrier bearing and yokes don't budge when I pry on them.