• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Atwood Hydro Flame Furnace Noise

• Staff

My furnace exhaust started making a flutter sound. Hearing that while my tool box was open I thought it sounded like a factory label from inside was half stuck flapping inside the exhaust. I noticed a small label blowing against the exhaust screen, grabbed my needle nose pliers and pulled out a label about 1/2X 2 inches. It did not stop the noise of the distinctive fluttering sound. Weird as the sound prompted me to pull this thing out of the exhaust but wasn't the problem.

Now this flutter sound outside in the exhaust has not gotten any better and when inside the camper makes a good rumble sound.

Anyone know anything to help what to look for/ take apart? Thanks for any help relating to this.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Thanks dave.

I wonder if the burner tip is caked with carbon causing it to do short bursts of flame and the computer keeps reigniting. It would have to happen very fast as the sound is rapid as shuffling cards. It's weird so I'm going to take it apart since it's not an easy exterior fix.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

I got the blower motor out and the squirel cage fan was very dusty, I'm sure it was slowing down and caused the combustion chamber fan to slow down with it since it's on the same shaft. Your right too Mike as the sail switch was full of dust also.

When I blew air into the combustion chamber small rusty chips flew out the exhaust.

Now to make the furnace housing less noisy, hopefully by adding sheet metal screws. They used very few to put it together. Easy to see where lots of noise  might occur.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Update: I got it running again and exhaust is still fluttering like a deck of cards being shuffled. Sort of like a rapid soft popping with the exhaust. I think it needs a new sail switch but, will try a new pressure regulator first since it is 13 years old.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Yes the fan which is a squirrel cage type isn't rubbing, no play etc. There is a slight resistance when spun by hand and some end play, but no side play at all.

Installed a new regulator today but made no difference :think:

I was told that my old regulator was set up illegally since my old one was designed for a single tank. The manufacturer just put a 'T' on top to hose over to both tanks on either side. Don't know how true that is :think:

At least now I can empty out one tank completely and then use the switch over switch to the other tank. That's great because before I was always getting the tanks filled way too soon thinking they were near empty but weren't.

P.S. Want MoparMom to know I'm very glad she is doing good.... for some reason I cannot post on the thread about her.

Edited by JAG1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Got the furnace fixed. Just call me a technician :thumb1:. I changed the burner which was caked with rust and carbon. Found burnt bugs inside the burner.

I tell you, you almost need a tooth puller in your back pocket to get the right information out of people for help.

• Like 3