• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline Economy and MPG

Mopar1973Man

Just now, Me78569 said:

so your light throttle limit is set to 30%, so you wont be getting high timing unless engine load is below that %30 mark.  In both of those shots it was above that.  

You should be wanting ~23* of timing at 75.  

change your light throttlr timing limit to %40 and see what happens. I am betting mpg will jump signicantly.  

I am guessing you have stock injectors?

Yup stock injectors. I read earlier somewhere on the page that going over 30% was not recommended so I’ve just been setting it to 30%. 

• Owner

Actually you might attempt 25%...

You need to find the closest boundary to cruise to power mode. I was finding my truck was still in cruise mode and climbing grades. Now kicking the cruise limit down to 25% now it kick out just about the time start climbing hills. I resumes cruise timing in timely fashion. This is based on 55-65 MPH speeds. 

At %25 his truck would never hit good timing numbers at cruise. 

looking at your screen shots you will need to set it to %40 to get timing up where it needs to be at cruise.  With Stock injectors that does not worry me as you aren't flowing much fuel.   

good mpg will come from timing being in the 20*-23* area between 55-75 mph.  

So I set my cruise timing to 40% and am seeing around 21 degree at cruising 75 when it’s under 40%.9F466EC8-5998-4DD7-8302-F544F16D0A3E.jpeg.f062beb46255276260c179fc0267ef35.jpeg My quad said I had gone through 27.53 gallons of fuel and when I filled up I only put in 19 gallons. It used the be accurate to within 1 gallon but it is now way off and I’m not really sure why. Im also only getting 15.4 mpg right now. Is that just what I’m going to be stuck with with stock injectors or should I be getting better numbers? 

• Owner

I can tell you more interstate the worse it will get. Simple fact is Engine Load is equal to the Fueling number on the Quadzilla. The only difference is fueling number is from 0 to 4095 and engine load is 0 to 100. They are both equal to each other. So no matter what you need to reduce your engine load as much as possible. I typically float 19-25% engine load at 65 MPH

Also just for point of reference at 65 MPH (1,900 RPM) I'm hitting roughly 22-23* of timing. My last few tanks of fuel.

nov fuel logs.png

My current tune. I'll be updating again soon.

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Adjust the offset down a bit and run another tank.  When it was1 gallon off how many gallons did you pump?

15.5 might be good or bad.  How much stop and go? How much interstate?  

The quad said 13.78 and I pumped roughly 15. 

This 15mpg was from 100 miles of highway (70-75) and 200 from daily driving (60-65). Not a lot of stop and go mainly a lot of setting the cruise and driving 

@Mopar1973Man What do I have to change to reduce my engine load? I plan on doing injectors this summer but is their anything else I can do to lower my load? If I remember correctly I’m pretty much at 35-45% cruising at almost every speed 60mph+. 

Also for upping my timing while at cruising speeds (I’m currently seeing 21 degrees) I would just increase my cruise timing adv. by .5 or so correct to get it in the 22/23 range? 

• Owner

Part of it areodynamics. Part of it total weight. Then part is rotational mass and rolling resistance.

Aerodynamics is very very important above 55 MPH. Wind drag is exponential above 55 MPH so if you have an open bed or like your leveling kit then you adding to the problem. Most of ownership of my truck I've had either a canopy or now I've got a roll back tonneau cover. This aid in reducing wind drag above 55 MPH. This is why I try and stay away from the interstates above 65 MPH mine falls like a rock no matter what I do for tuning. Excessive cargo and weight has an impact too like I check vehicle weight often and do an inventory and ditch stuff that been hanging around. 4480 in the front, 2980 in the rear for a total of 7,460 pounds with 2 passengers and better than half tank of fuel. Like your custom front bumper most likely adding some weight to the front axle. Are you properly inflating your tires for the axles weight? Most people don't. Tire size wise you good but being a 1 ton with duals is hurting. That extra set of tires on the rear axle is robbing you of about 40-60 HP with the excessive rotational mass. Not knowing if you have aggressive tire pattern that will hurt the rolling resistance factor. 

Basically, you need to look at your truck like a 1/4 drag race vehicle. Is it light enough? Most use racing slicks smooth face tires have the least amount of rolling resistance also racing slick are typically a fraction of the weight typically in the 20-25 pound bracket. Most all drag racing has the nose of the vehicle down to cut the wind drag down. Axle / vehicle weight are reduced as much as possible. This typically goes against most everyone "Cool Factor" that they want for a truck.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

@Mopar1973Man The last time I took scrap metal in my truck and the empty single axle trailer weight in at 8,800lbs. So I’m guessing I’m around the 8K lb range. My front bumper definitely added some weight to my front and even with my leveling kit it sags in the front like it does stock. I guess the 110 gallon transfer tank in my bed doesn’t help either ?. I always inflate my tires whenever I leave for a long trip to about 65-70 psi. I’ve been looking for a topper that I could put on in the winter months I guess I’ll have to speed up that search and see if that helps any. 

Also does your edge comp look a like tune only work for the quad v2 vehicle selection and not the TEST v2 selection? When I download the tune and import it to my quad app it goes straight to my regular v2 selection regardless the vehicle selection that I’m currently on 

• Owner
1 minute ago, Youngblood24v said:

I always inflate my tires whenever I leave for a long trip to about 65-70 psi.

Most likely too high. Here is my truck full loaded and sitting on the scale with the RV as well. Take notice of the inflation pressures. That is a 3 pad scale. 

2cqfx9w.jpg&key=a8f30aaffca64f3fe3140db4

Funny part is at 55 MPH dragging nearly 8,000 pound that stands 11.5 tall and 32 foot long I get 12-14 MPG. You get slightly better empty running 75-80 MPH. This give you an idea of how much drag you fighting. 

• Owner

This now my highway rig. So far covered 55k miles in just over a year of going back and forth to Ontario, OR from New Meadows, ID 3 times a week. Since the travel is for @MoparMom dialysis treatments I got to do it as economically as possible so it doesn't eat a hole in our budget. Like I posted my last few MPG numbers I'm still trying to keep high MPG's through winterized diesel fuel and poor weather conditions. 

DSCF4364.JPG

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Doing some very rough math( comparing injector flow) vs your engine load % at cruise it looks liek you are burning %20-25 more fuel to do the same mph as my truck does.  

thats pretty signifIcant.  are the injectors orginal?

I’m not sure on the injectors. I’m the 2nd owner and I bought it off an older guy so I doubt they were ever changed