• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline Economy and MPG

Mopar1973Man

9 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

What I'm finding out is the steeper the fuel curve is the better the MPG will become. Timing isn't so much of the picture but the CANBus fuel curve is more important. 

So more fuel being delivered via CANBus vs. putting your foot into it & timing to get going equals better MPG

• Owner
45 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I don't think that is accurate.  I think mikes MPG numbers went up  because the OBD link was expect x amount of TPS = x amount of fuel.

Remember OBD Link is just like the Quadzilla showing ZERO TPS signal during cruise control so TPS values isn't considered at all. GPH is calculated from MAP sensor readings.

So if your boost tuning % is higher on your performance tune then the map = gph will be off per tune you do.  

IE if you cruise at 5 psi and your tune setting at 5 psi is 105% on your performance tune it will read one way vs your eco tune with might cruise at 5 psi but only be %103 of oem.  

the OBD link will only be calibrated to 1 tune.

• Owner

Made major changes to both tunes. I know for sure than the previous performance curve starting at 105% and 1.8% growth just had a little bit of smoke but clears fast. EGT's spike rather quickly at 1,300*F now. Really getting serious power out of the Quadzilla. So I jumped even higher on the performance side to a full 2.0% growth rate. 

So knowing the limits of the performance side now I can back down the economy tune making it nearly smokeless now but getting the widest fuel map possible without smoke. Again I'm going to back down my timing curve I'm not like I'm racing but looking for a quick burst of power to pass other vehicles and such. My first post is updated with all my current numbers. 

• Owner

As for my 2.0% fuel curve on the performance side I'm really loving that tune. Stupid powerful now, just a bit of smoke but it clears right up. Also liking my lighter timing curve. Topped my old HP and TQ numbers. I'll post later tonight.

Timing... You really have to think about all your conditions. Fuel cetane, driving style, IAT temperature, injector sizes, etc. I'm starting to hear the timing and what works best. I've heard tales of old mechanics being able to time by ear... Well I'm figuring it out.

• Owner

FEBRUARY FUEL LOGS

feb fuel logs.jpg

Nearly 4,000 miles later. +0.59 MPG gain over last month. I will admit I was playing with the performance tune on the last two trips and having a bit of fun. So you'll see a bit more down turn on my off days... So you can see I was playing hard... :whistle: Now if you take notice to the double fill on Feb. 4 you notice that the logs are nearly right on. That was during my period of calibration. But i'll do another here shorting after I'm done playing with my Economy tune and getting the timing set up. Now at 21-22nd you see my error crept back in...

Screenshot_2017-03-03-08-26-16.png

Being the price of fuel is sprung up on me I need to knuckle down and get this tuning done for the Economy tune. So play time is over. Time to start hitting big MPG numbers again. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Current mods

8x.011

62/68/.84

Quad ADRv2

BHAF

ATS Bigfoot t4 manifod

Pusher intake

Raptor 150gph

4" exhaust

Mild tranny

ARP studs

So I found out my truck doesn't like 20.5*-21.75* at 55mph and 70mph. I dropped to 19.1 mpgs on my roadtrip this weekend. I netted 19.79 i believe a few weeks ago on the same trip when i was having timing issues caused by a secret tuner. My max was 19.2* and it went down to 18.8-9* at 70mpg. ME helped me get that sorted out the past week. Thanks again. So this tank i think I'm going to drop it down to 5.5* of advance so my 55mph is around 19.5*. 

Hey ME, has the rpm that cruise timing engages change at all? I don't remember what version i had before i updated but before Cruise would lock in around 53mph. Now it engages at 56mph. It was kind of a pain being stuck in a line of traffic going 53-55 and not being in CT. Lol

• Owner
28 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

1400 - 2400 rpm

40 -80 mph

stable speed

stable load

stable boost.

...you need 3 seconds of stable everything above to enter cruise state. 

So what I've done is build the main timing map as my fail out map which is about 2* lower than the cruise timing. 

8 hours ago, 903Dodge said:

I am running the same tune that Moparman has posted in this thread. 

As Mike Pointed out his tune has been changing.  I need to verify that you have a tune that makes sense for your driving habits / speed.  I also need a datalog of those 75 mph cruise states to see why you are not going into ctruise state timing.  

Without that we are just guessing.  

• Like 1