• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Skid steers

hex0rz

Did a little bit at a time chipping away at the repair to the bobcat. Got parts in and fixed the leak. Took a bit of a learning curve on reassembly and adjustment. Got the controls neutraled out and adjusted. Stays in one spot now and the controls are like a night and day difference running them now. I still had the bobcat on jacks so i didn't get too much seat of the pants experience.

I lost allot of hydraulic oil waiting for the parts to come in. Gonna have to wait until i get more oil until i feel comfortable running it again. 

I checked the glow plugs with the DMM and they checked out. I still need to try and get a compression test and injectors tested.

I took the battery out and verified the cells and charge state. Battery was still good but i dunno for how long because no one pulled the stickers for the date codes...

One thing that bugged me was at idle or upon shutdown the machine made a nasty noise that sounded mechanical. It had something to do with the engine area as it went away with throttling up. So i had an inclination it was the drive belt tensioner. Unfortunately they don't have a constant tensioner feature so to speak. Eventually it loses tension and needs adjustment. Well, i got to that point and the dang thing couldn't tension. So i pulled it and spent an hour looking at it as to why it wouldn't. I said forget it and put it back in after greasing it and tried again. Finally, it takes a 4 foot long pry bar to get it to finally move. 

But boy, now that it's working right im convinced its helped with the idle rpms and it doesn't make that nasty noise at idle or on shutdown. 

Next thing i gotta work on is wheel seal replacements. 4 of these little dreamy things to replace.... boy i can hardly wait.

It seems like with me and all things i get involved in, i sure do learn allot with all these learning curves. 

• Like 2

At least you are making progress.

When you checked the glow plugs did you unhook them all so they were all individually isolated? 

Yeah buying used equipment is always fun. I am working through things on my rig too. Snowblower is giving my bank account a heart attack lol. PTO shaft was way too short $600 for a brand new one the correct length then new seals in the gear box then hook up the hydraulic rotation orbit motor to find out the motor is shot there goes another 113 bucks for a new aftermarket orbit motor sheesh.

13 hours ago, hex0rz said:

yea i took the strap off. 

Biggest issue is bobcat has a virtual monopoly on the parts... that's the frustrating part. 

That's not unusual with off road construction equipment no matter the brand, totally different world than on road vehicles.

Bobcat has been around forever and is American made so there are tons and tons of places that sell aftermarket parts for the older skid steers if you search around and lots of used parts and salvage places that specialize in Bobcats. While searching things out for my tractor I have came across numerous Bobcat specific skid steer sites and forums.

Wow, your doing better than i am. I couldn't find anything. Resorted to a Facebook group for skid steers. Dunno the whole demographic of the group, but don't ask something too challenging. Otherwise, you may never get an answer. 

• 2 weeks later...

I returned the extreme hydraulic oil and opted for aw32 hydraulic oil they had instead. Maybe used 3 gallons of a 5 gallon bucket of oil.

Energized the glow plugs and it did 2 cycles before i fired it up at idle rpm. Cranked right over but had a little sputtering upon fire up. I would think that's normal for these little engines... I've never had a glow plug engine either so that's why i figured it was normal. 

Once i got it going, i proceeded to finally get it moving and see how it ran. What a dream! I love operating it now. I think anyone could operate it without a problem now. Now i have to get used to operating it again..

• Like 1

they both have injection pump and injectors but the fuel is injected in cylinders differently.  In the summer even my Kubota requires the aid of the glow plugs if its set for any length of time, In the winter it may take  2 or three cycles to get it to fire off if its been real cold

indirect injection.jpg

Edited by 01cummins4ever

Okay, so what would prompt someone to do indirect injection compared to direct? Does the injection still get timed like a direct injection? Definitely seems more inefficient to me as it seems like it would decrease the likelihood of the fuel to stay atomized. 

Even my 2009 CT450 Bobcat tractor with a 2.4 litre Daedong / Kioti engine is still IDI.

Indirect Injection

In an internal combustion engine, the term indirect injection refers to a fuel injection where fuel is not directly injected into the combustion chamber. Gasoline engines are usually equipped with indirect injection systems, wherein a fuel injector delivers the fuel at some point before the intake valve.

An indirect injection diesel engine delivers fuel into a chamber off the combustion chamber, called a prechamber, where combustion begins and then spreads into the main combustion chamber. The prechamber is carefully designed to ensure adequate mixing of the atomized fuel with the compression-heated air. The purpose of the divided combustion chamber is to speed up the combustion process, in order to increase the power output by increasing engine speed. The addition of a prechamber, however, increases heat loss to the cooling system and thereby lowers engine efficiency. The engine requires glow plugs for starting. In an indirect injection system the air moves fast, mixing the fuel and air. This simplifies injector design and allows the use of smaller engines and less tightly toleranced designs which are simpler to manufacture and more reliable. Direct injection, by contrast, uses slow-moving air and fast-moving fuel; both the design and manufacture of the injectors is more difficult. The optimisation of the in-cylinder air flow is much more difficult than designing a prechamber. There is much more integration between the design of the injector and the engine. It is for this reason that car diesel engines were almost all indirect injection until the ready availability of powerful CFD simulation systems made the adoption of direct injection practical.

Indirect Injection - Advantages of Indirect Injection Combustion Chambers

Advantages of Indirect Injection Combustion Chambers

• Smaller diesels can be produced.
  • The injection pressure required is low, so the injector is cheaper to produce.
  • The injection direction is of less importance.
  • Indirect injection is much simpler to design and manufacture; less injector development is required and the injection pressures are low (1500 psi versus 5000 psi and higher for direct injection)
  • The lower stresses that indirect injection imposes on internal components mean that it is possible to produce petrol and indirect injection diesel versions of the same basic engine. At best such types differ only in the cylinder head and the need to fit a distributor and spark plugs in the petrol version whilst fitting an injection pump and injectors to the diesel. Examples include the BMC A-Series and B-Series engines and the Land Rover 2.25/2.5-litre 4-cylinder types. Such designs allow petrol and diesel versions of the same vehicle to be built with minimal design changes between them.
  • Higher engine speeds can be reached, since burning continues in the prechamber. The Mercedes-Benz type prechamber is able to achieve over 6000rpm in a turbocharged engine.
  • Indirect injection is superior for running on thicker vegetable oil fuel, due to lower pressure injection, a longer burn time and increased swirl ensuring more complete combustion.
Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1