• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel sump and airdog fp150 install

So I installed my 7x.0105 injectors last weekend but ran out of time to do my airdog and sump.

It always seems to be the boss lady has stuff for me to do when I want to work on my truck so yet again I'm only left with Sunday to play.

was a pretty straight forward install on the injectors seeing as my day job is a diesel tech so was a walk in the park for me. Had them in and set the overhead in about 2 hours. Truck runs awesome, but I'm glued to my FP gauge and getting on it obviously the pressure was dropping more than I liked. Drive it nice and it stayed right around 10 psi. Still I needed to install the airdog just was waiting for the weekend to come. I gathered all the necessary things I needed during the corse of the week (push lock jic fittings, 1/2 brass tee, and some new fleet guard filters, piece of 1 1/2 od stainless pipe) and woke up bright and early to overcast sky's and 80% chance of rain.☹️ Figures but I said hell with it if it rains it's just water. So I got the airdog mounting bracket on the frame slapped on the pump and filters ran all the lines. Built my own return pipe to put inline with the filler neck because I didn't feel like dropping the tank and the sump I got didn't require me to. Used a piece of S/S pipe drilled a hole big enough for a 1/2" pipe bushing to fit and burned the bushing in. Screwed my brass 1/2" jic fitting into it and cut my filler tube hose and installed that for my pump return to connect to. Turned out pretty good I must say saved me $40 too. Went on to drilling the pilot hole in the lowest spot on the tank and drained the remaining fuel into a bucket. Then used the hole saw supplied with the sump and drilled the hole.

Cleaned up the edges with a deburring tool and shoved the inner plate in. It's a one bolt sump with a big oring. CNC machined in the ??. I used a bit of anaerobic sealant on the o-ring even though it doesn't call for it. Just a habit I guess don't want any leaks. Tightened it up installed the debris drain plug and hooked up the supply to the pump. Put the 5 gallons I drained back in the tank. Ran the wiring harness under the hood and down to the pump. Primed the pump and fired her up. Seems to idle a little better now or it could just be my imagination. Ran her to town to put some fuel in. Checked for leaks. Running a steady 15 lbs and it drops just a bit to 12-13 at wide open.

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

Edited by CumminsTech

Nice install. 

Better halfs tent to feel it when to bother us with stupid sh.t at best timing. 

Looks like you're missing rear brake shields, just incase I had to change mine and couldn't find them anywhere, turns out 3d gen ones fit just fine, slightly larger in diameter. I got tired of looking for replacement and said f it and got the ones were available thinking I could modify them, but they identical. 

• Owner

I gather you don't go offroad much? The places I got I would of taken both Airdog filter and wiped them off and that sump too. This is fine for a pavement princess but I'd never install it for an offroad vehicle. 

Back in my high stepping days of hauling firewood. (Temporarily suspended...) Stepping over logs, stumps, rocks, limbs, etc. Didn't matter just got the job done. Ask me about the huge dent in my floorboard in the passenger side. :whistle:

DSCF4657.JPG

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Good looking job. Mine is primarily a "Pavement Princess" as Mike calls it, but I like to call it  a highway monster. Even with some of its quirks she will haul the mail and my 5th wheel every where we need to go. She also gets around on the job site wet or dry. No offense Mikey. My AD is on the frame rail also but on the inside and it is not as low as yours I dont think. It does still bug me when I look under there that I see a inch or more hanging down, but no issues with that in the 7 years it had been there. Sumps, I dont know, as long as the pickup in the tank will drain it dry I am staying away from them. 

This was not in anyway meant to be critical of your work or choices. Looks like you did a fine job. Just a different opinion. We all got em. Call my wife and she will tell you how big of an "Opinion" I really am.

• Haha 2

No offense taken. Installed the sump because in all honesty I did not want to drop the tank. 

Fastest way to keep it on the road. I weighed my options full well knowing the truck doesn't see off-road therefor no real chance of tearing it off so sump it was.

• Like 1

• Owner

The only thing I will warn about is DOT inspections might not go over very well. I know its controversial about top vs bottom draw tanks on diesel vehicles. Depends on how people read the rules on fuel supply system rules. There are states that require vehicle inspections and this kind of mod may or may not pass.

I posted to remind folks of offroad usage and consider what happens if you snag your sump or filters on your AirDog or FASS. Being I deal with a lot of rancher trucks that travel offroad quite a bit I've heard all the stories of the damages from offroad operation. 

As for your setup CumminsTech, I think it's fine as long as you on pavement or dirt roads. The only think else I would mention is winter time operation where having the filters out of the cold wind will run better and handle gelling better. 

• Staff

You should mount everything inboard of the frame as not only winter cold a concern but Dot regs says something about a required fuel delivery system to be inside the frame. If you mount close enough to the transfere case it is very easy to extend the transfere case skid/ protection plate. I made mine so I can undo one bolt and skid plate swings out of the way for filter changes. I like having a shut off valve too so no loss of prime when changing filters.

I used 1/4 aluminum plate and is mounted to overlap and bolt on upper side the factory skip plate. That way it laps over and won't snag parts flying off Mike Nelson truck

My :2cents:

Edited by JAG1

• Owner
7 hours ago, JAG1 said:

That way it laps over and won't snag parts flying off Mike Nelson truck

I've never lost any parts off my truck maybe that ol' broke down Ford Powerstroke that farmer Joe owns... I know you mistaken my truck it never throws parts... (Knock on wood - banging on JAG1 head!)

• Like 2