• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Has anyone swaped a auto to a manual? How much did it run you to do it? I want to do this in the future and want to get some ideas on what I am looking at here. Is it a do it yourself or do you have to have someone do it for you. i am mechanically inclined but not an trained mechanic. Any idea on this. Thanks:thumb1:

i've never done the swap myself, but the things people have told me are:flywheel, clutch, transmission, hole for the stick, cross members, drive shaftsthe ecm on the manuals have anti-stall turned on, while the autos ecm has it disabledthe 99 and newer nv4500s have the "upgraded nut" but if your gonna open it, get what ever and get the upgrade shafts to solve potential 5th gear problem

i've never done the swap myself, but the things people have told me are: flywheel, clutch, transmission, hole for the stick, cross members, drive shafts the ecm on the manuals have anti-stall turned on, while the autos ecm has it disabled the 99 and newer nv4500s have the "upgraded nut" but if your gonna open it, get what ever and get the upgrade shafts to solve potential 5th gear problem

What is the better tranny the nv4500 or the nv5600? Which would be easyier to install:shrug:

The NV5600 is I think 100lbs heavier. They are both very stout. The 5th gear nut hardly happens on the NV4500, and when it does it's a simple fix. I would rather have to fix the nut every 100k than row 6 gears, though the nut could be fine for life. I think parts are easier to get for the NV4500 too.

• Owner

But be aware the part for the NV5600 could be in short supply... From... http://quad4x4.com/NV5600%20parts.htm

The hard parts situation for NV5600 transmissions is terrible. After NV5600 production ceased in January of 2005, MTM pretty much stopped making parts for them. By December of 2005, most new parts were no longer available from any source. As of January, 2006 we are completely out of stock on all NV5600 gears and shafts. There is word that Dodge will be getting some new NV5600 gears starting in February of 2006 and we know of at least two aftermarket suppliers that intend to produce NV5600 components overseas, so hopefully, the NV5600 parts situation will improve throughout 2006.

Since NV4500 trans were use in several different makes of vehicle Chevy's and Fords also there is more supplies for 5 speed trans than 6 speed trans. I'm still finding reports of trucks at the dealer waiting for 6 speed parts...:stuned: The extra might be nice but the final gear ratio is (6 speed 0.73:1) and (5 speed 0.75:1) so top gear is basically the same...

i have heard some people with ~500HP chew up the input shaft...like i said, if you are going to open it, buy a cheap good one and buy shafts. high HP means billet input and most upgraded outputs have the threads farther and that stops the 5th gear nut from backing off. as others have said, 6speed parts are extremely hard to come buy and will be pricey. something else...these transmissions are sensitive about the fluid in them.

As far as which one will hold more before you need to do the things like GuessWho512 said, it's a tossup. They will both hold about the same amount before you start messing stuff up in them. It really just comes down to whether or not you want to shift the extra gear. Now as Mike said, parts are hard to find and therefore expensive on the NV5600, so if you do plan on turning it into something with 500+HP and all that kind of thing, you will have to fight for parts with it. If you treat it right and don't plan on modding it to high heaven, you shouldn't be breaking parts on either trans and they will both last a very long time.

• 3 months later...

any ideas on cost wise to do the swap??

Cost is gonna be different for everybody. Depends on how you obtain your parts mainly. I bought a complete wrecked 02 Dodge 4wd w/NV5600 for $4,000, then I bought a SB DD clutch w/hydraulics for $1300. I pretty much got everything else I needed from the wreck, With the exception of the rear drive line, mine is a swb & the 02 was a LWB. I also got the Dana80 rear with limited slip and disc brakes and also used the front axle as it didn't have the CAD. I still have the motor from the wreck and I was able to sell quite a few parts to help finance it. I think buying a complete wreck is your cheapest route but it just takes a little time.

The NV5600 is nice and I like how it floats gears. Plus having the extra spacing in the gears is handy too. But the NV4500 is lighter, cheaper, and easier to find parts for. The NV5600 is rated for more power but the 4500 can be beefed up with aftermarket parts and the Torque King can fix the 5th gear problem!:thumbup2:

The NV5600 is nice and I like how it floats gears. Plus having the extra spacing in the gears is handy too. But the NV4500 is lighter, cheaper, and easier to find parts for. The NV5600 is rated for more power but the 4500 can be beefed up with aftermarket parts and the Torque King can fix the 5th gear problem!:thumbup2:

I'd definitely avoid floating gear shifts with the 6 speed if you got one.... unless you can get the rpms perfect every time you are going to be wearing out syncs and blocker plates in a hurry... also this tranny aint easy to work on, i got one from a guy on craigslist and I have been tinkering with it at my buds shop, we are going in half on all the special tools and stands to take it apart haha i'll post back when and if that happens... pretty tempting to take it to blumenthals in okc though they will rip it all apart and replace whatever needs replacing for 400 plus parts. anyway, i would look into some other kind of manual tranny that isn't obsolete. Like an eaton 5 speed or 6 speed, they will never go out of business and those trannys are e z to work on and get parts for. main thing for one of them is to get an SAE #2 flywheel housing there is some guy on the internet that put a 6 speed eaton fuller in his truck... .http://www.sanco-bg.com/Conversion_NV5600.htm

• Owner

anyway, i would look into some other kind of manual tranny that isn't obsolete. Like an eaton 5 speed or 6 speed, they will never go out of business and those trannys are e z to work on and get parts for. main thing for one of them is to get an SAE #2 flywheel housing there is some guy on the internet that put a 6 speed eaton fuller in his truck... .http://www.sanco-bg.com/Conversion_NV5600.htm

The only problem I see with the coversion so far is the fact he lost his transfer case and no longer has 4WD...

I'd definitely avoid floating gear shifts with the 6 speed if you got one.... unless you can get the rpms perfect every time you are going to be wearing out syncs and blocker plates in a hurry... also this tranny aint easy to work on, i got one from a guy on craigslist and I have been tinkering with it at my buds shop, we are going in half on all the special tools and stands to take it apart haha i'll post back when and if that happens... pretty tempting to take it to blumenthals in okc though they will rip it all apart and replace whatever needs replacing for 400 plus parts. anyway, i would look into some other kind of manual tranny that isn't obsolete. Like an eaton 5 speed or 6 speed, they will never go out of business and those trannys are e z to work on and get parts for. main thing for one of them is to get an SAE #2 flywheel housing there is some guy on the internet that put a 6 speed eaton fuller in his truck... .http://www.sanco-bg.com/Conversion_NV5600.htm

Maybe, I've heard so many different things about floating, but I do it all the time in my NV4500, no problems yet!:thumbup2:

These trucks aren't cheap. I'd just keep an eye out for whatever I wanted 4x4, NV4500 or whatever & put the cash into fuel, vp, steering, gauges, chip, injectors. You need that as a minimum on any 24V & would spend that much getting the tranny only - unless you get a parts truck for (almost) free.