• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

junk in bottom of fresh oil containers.

Killer223

So my son did an oil change on his 22RE this weekend, and my wife's car need one as well. Well after we were all done i was going to combine the left over oil in the bottles for some oil for the snow blower or the generators.
well sure glad i looked in to containers, now i need the people here to tell me what my next move should be.

Now mind you my wifes car has well over 130K miles on supertech oil. but it is concerning..

IMG_7125.JPG

IMG_7126.JPG

IMG_7127.JPG

• Staff

I've seen this before using Delo 400 CI-4 on my old first gen. I posted about it on the Bombers forum when several guys said it is the additives settling in the bottom is all. I hope they're right.

There shouldn't be any grit feel to it when you put it btwn your fingers.

Edited by JAG1

1 hour ago, Wild and Free said:

This really common with most plain dyno oils, it is never super clean, You will find this with most brand named regular oils. Can not filter 100% of the solids out of it and as it sits the sediment settles out.

Are these natural solids to the oil and not harmful? I cant say I have ever seen it in any I have used, but I dont look into the bottom of every jug.

16 minutes ago, dripley said:

Are these natural solids to the oil and not harmful? I cant say I have ever seen it in any I have used, but I dont look into the bottom of every jug.

Mostly, a bit of it could be some additives but mostly stuff that is naturally suspended that can't be removed during the refining process. I have read about it many times over the years and was always taught to never try and get every drop out of containers due to this. There is a reason most oil containers are black or dark colored so you can't see the bottom.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wild and Free said:

Mostly, a bit of it could be some additives but mostly stuff that is naturally suspended that can't be removed during the refining process. I have read about it many times over the years and was always taught to never try and get every drop out of containers due to this.

Must be why I have never seen it. I drain mine pretty good. 

• Staff
1 minute ago, Killer223 said:

Well it was a first for me. I've been changing oil with my dad and myself for the better part of 35 years, can't say i've ever seen this before.

but if it not much to worry about then so be it.

i don't pre-fill the filters either.

I wouldn't say it's common to see. I have noticed it before but never to that extent. 

Yes AH brought up a point I missed as well about never prefilling filters due to dirty oils it is absoluelty critical to never prefill fuel filters too.

The last mine i worked at actually had a bulk oil loop filter system that prefiltered oil before it was pumnped into anything.

Most all large operations also have really good bulk fuel filtering before it gets the final transfer into the fuel truck for end use as well.

When dealing with multimillion dollar equipment with 100-500K components alone this is critical to longer life.

• Like 2