• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel part questions....fix or throw away?

I have a few left over parts from the fuel tank area after a “mechanic fixed ” my fuel system.  Maybe I should just throw the parts in the garbage?   but then again maybe someday might come in handy for me or for somebody else.

Fuel module…

The straw was actually the thing creating tension to keep it expanded inside the tank.  Vulcan Diesel tried to fix and drilled out basket.  Didn’t work so well, so I bought a new one.  I was going to install some springs to create tension.

***Question…How much tension do you think is good?  Maybe 3 pounds, 5 pounds?

FASS drawstraw…

Where the plastic pipe slides onto the nipple inside of tank is sucking air.  Mechanic used pliers on the nipple to tighten the nut.  Now nipple is egg shaped, out of round.

***Question…How to fix or what type of glue to make nipple air tight again?

Fuel tank…

Mechanic then said he has to install a sump.  Of course it leaked and hose hung down to close to road.  I finally found a used tank and put it in. 

***Question… Can I get some plastic and glue on a patch to cover the hole that was drilled out?  

Any ideas or just throw parts out?  I do know it take over $450.00 to replace what got messed up and hate to throw them away.  And a good lesson to me about choosing a mechanic, maybe I should consider the money tuition?

Your thoughts....Thanks

Edited by 015point9

Personally I would put it all on Craigslist get what you can out of it and move on. If someone buys that stuff that means they need it, and if no one buys it whell then you know what it's worth. If you choose to fix it you will waste even more money doing so and it will never be right anyway.:2cents:

• Owner
1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

Personally I would put it all on Craigslist get what you can out of it and move on. If someone buys that stuff that means they need it, and if no one buys it whell then you know what it's worth. If you choose to fix it you will waste even more money doing so and it will never be right anyway.:2cents:

Why do that... We've got a Classified Ad area here...

https://mopar1973man.com/classifieds/

Op here...

While I do agree with above posters.  I just hate to needlessly being separated from my money.  Apparently I'm pretty good at that. 

12 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Why do that... We've got a Classified Ad area here...

https://mopar1973man.com/classifieds/

I'll post the parts in your classified's later this week or next week depending... I'm going to call the GB weld lady's.  They've heard about everything.  Going to find out what they think about draw straw fitting (gluing plastic tube to alum fitting). If fixable,  going to look into a back up pump for small gas powered class C motorhome. That would leave the sump and fuel module.  

Edited by 015point9

As a man that keeps too any parts, if they are bummed up, out of round and general dont work I dont keep them. I do keep OE mounting hardware and such because they can be expensive to replace. The call is yours. I kept my OE map sensor only to break it when experimenting with changing it. Still had to buy one but i tried.

OP here....Not going to post in classifieds. I'm just going to toss everything in trash.  Reason...I wouldn't want anybody else to deal with what I went thru on my fuel system.   I was thinking that if anybody wanted anything to just donate to the site to keep it going and paying shipping.  But in the back of my mind if the parts are damaged and aren't right for me, why would anybody else want to mess with them.  Here are other reasons. 

FASS sump...1st   there are better designs than FASS.  While 10 screws looks like a stronger design, it only takes one screw not holding right and you have a fuel leak.  2nd to me sumps are like re-cap tires...never quite know when something might happen.  Not slamming them, just saying I won't use one again. 

Fuel tank...I wouldn't feel safe with a patched tank and shipping probably would be more than its worth. 

FASS draw straw with bent nipple.  Not worth the time messing with.

Thanks for all the input and replies.   

Edited by 015point9
  • Like 1