• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need Help

I have a 2002 24v and i have recently intsalled a Quadzilla and now have serious problems. Truck ran fine before i installed it and now it I have 3 codes p0236 p1690 and p0216. Exhaust is always a constant white smoke when motor is warm or cold and have excessive blow by and oil. When its cold it has a dead pedal then when it gets warm after 30min of driving the boost on the iquad app is always reading 48 pounds of boost then it runs alot better but have to have the power level  ag atleast set to 4 for no dead pedal. like i said before i installed the quad it never had any problems.

216 and white smoke means the vp44 is likely done.  the timing piston has likely gotten galled up and is getting stuck when it is cold.  once you get heat into it the metal expands and the timing piston free's up. 

1690 is telling you that the crank position is not working correctly.  The Quadzilla doesn't interface with this sensor at all so I am forced to believe it is random as well.  

The quadzilla reading 48 psi of boost all the time tells me that either you have a short in the map wiring or the map sensor is stuck reading high psi.  

Return the truck back to stock wiring, clear codes and see if they come back.  

• Like 4

Ive retuned the truck back to stock twice and cleared codes but come back after a few minutes of driving and it ends up with same symptoms.

The truck is not driveable if the quad is not on it and cant get above 40 without the pedal to thr floor. If the quad is reading 48psi on level 5 it has no dead pedal, but if its reading correctly theres dead pedal.

Have you been able to replace the map sensor yet?  That's probably the easiest one to address and will give you a feel for what all could potentially be wrong.

Since you didn't have any issues prior, try completely removing the quad from the truck and pull the battery cables for a couple of hours to let the truck more or less reset.  Once you've done that it would not hurt to do an APPS reset as well.  If you've done all that and you're still having trouble then I would start with the map sensor and see if that at least clears up some of your issues.  It's not going to be a smoking gun but a bad map sensor can cause some odd issues.

Like others have said, seems like you might just have a tired truck that needs some TLC.

I would say the vp is probably done it has been remanufactured at 100k and now its at 190k. I have done the Apps reset twice already also and still had no success so I will be changing out the map where is a good place for a replacement?

• Owner

MAP sensor wise I would suggest Cummins but expect to pay the Cummins price for it. I'm not sure if the part stores stock MAP sensor for the Cummins and what the quality is like. 

Rockauto shows a listing...

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2002,ram+2500+pickup,5.9l+l6+diesel+turbocharged,1440064,fuel+&+air,manifold+pressure+(map)+sensor,11207

Did you put the pump on or did you have someone do it for you?  Any idea who's pump it is?  What's your fuel pressure?

Napa, Orielly's, Autozone, RockAuto, Genos, they should all have one just make sure it's for the right one.  I believe the 98-00 is different from 01-02.