• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2000 to 2002 Steering upgrade

I grease mine every year and they seem to somehow dry out, I even use high temp synthetic special grease just for that matter. Whatever you do don't use antiseeze that stuff dries out really fast.

8 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Most likely a wheel alignment problem. Is there any strange tire wheel on the front tires?

I was always wondering about if it's possible on our setup, what I'm trying to say is even if your alignment was off toe in tow out, why would pull left or right shouldn't be still going straight just a steering wheel may be crooked and be very touchy. 

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I grease mine every year and they seem to somehow dry out, I even use high temp synthetic special grease just for that matter. Whatever you do don't use antiseeze that stuff dries out really fast.

I was always wondering about if it's possible on our setup, what I'm trying to say is even if your alignment was off toe in tow out, why would pull left or right shouldn't be still going straight just a steering wheel may be crooked and be very touchy. 

My steering wheek is nowhere near straight. It was when I bought the truck and up till the steering started acting funny.

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

Just say the left wheel is towed out. The left side of the truck is trying to turn left and the right is trying to go straight so younhave to turn the wheel right to counter act that. At least thats howmi see it. No front end expert. 

When I replaced my track bar a few months back and had to adjust the drag link to get the wheel straight. But mine was not pulling to either side.

3 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Yes it is pulling all the time

As mentioned before alignment or caliper sticking most likely.

It's stupid simple to do alignment on our trucks, when I bought it guy said he just had shop do alignment, so after few months I checked it cause tires were wearing funny and it was tow in like 1/2" or better, I now have it set about 1/32 to 1/16 tow in. I thought it was simple to do. Do tow first then steering wheel. 

3 minutes ago, dripley said:

Just say the left wheel is towed out. The left side of the truck is trying to turn left and the right is trying to go straight so younhave to turn the wheel right to counter act that. At least thats howmi see it. No front end expert. 

When I replaced my track bar a few months back and had to adjust the drag link to get the wheel straight. But mine was not pulling to either side.

As mentioned before alignment or caliper sticking most likely.

Thanks for the suggestion ill look into these things... 

4 minutes ago, dripley said:

Just say the left wheel is towed out. The left side of the truck is trying to turn left and the right is trying to go straight so younhave to turn the wheel right to counter act that.

But wheels are connected so yes alignment will be off but truck should still split the difference between wheels and move the steering wheel one way or another. So technically truck should still not pull because of bad alignment, or it should do it equal in each direction. I don't know just thinking here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

But wheels are connected so yes alignment will be off but truck should still split the difference between wheels and move the steering wheel one way or another. So technically truck should still not pull because of bad alignment, or it should do it equal in each direction. I don't know just thinking here.

I was stabbing in the dark too. I will bet one of these more educated soles will come along and straighten us both out before too long.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Measure tire tread from same place and elevation on front and rear and set it so tow is in just a little, then adjuste steering wheel straight. 

That almost sounds to simple. Seems we possibly have an educated sole in our midst.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

And an uneducated one! I'm complete moron when it comes to front end parts? I have no clue how to even asdjust tow in and out? 

Just look under the truck at the front end. The tie rod, between the 2mwheels is not one solid bar. It has an adjustment sleeve on it with a bolt on each end. Loosen those bolts and you can rotate it. This makes the tie rod longer or shorter for adjusting tow in or out. There is another on the drag link. That is the bar that goes on the Pittman arm on the steering box to the right front wheel. Adjust that sleeve and you can straighten out your steering wheel. I keep thinking there is a third adjustment sleeve but just can't remember. They are very apparent if you look under there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dripley said:

Just look under the truck at the front end. The tie rod, between the 2mwheels is not one solid bar. It has an adjustment sleeve on it with a bolt on each end. Loosen those bolts and you can rotate it. This makes the tie rod longer or shorter for adjusting tow in or out. There is another on the drag link. That is the bar that goes on the Pittman arm on the steering box to the right front wheel. Adjust that sleeve and you can straighten out your steering wheel. I keep thinking there is a third adjustment sleeve but just can't remember. They are very apparent if you look under there.

Thank you and I apologize for sounding so dumb lol. 

How to straighten the steering wheel?

8 hours ago, trreed said:

Around the bolts that hold the caliper to the caliper bracket

14B10FDB-63DD-40F7-A407-ECF7AEE24F72.jpeg.c37da7a59183c4a7a6e75cefb0285858.jpeg

This one came off my rear caliper. As you can see, is junk. 

@trreed those definitely look like Colorado mag chloride slide pins! I just plan on a new set every spring. 

• Like 1