• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Valuable parts question

Is there really valuable parts I would want to consider pulling of a 99 gas model before owner has it towed away, without starting my own junk yard? ?

In my area parts not that easy to find sometimes.  (Took me couple months to find a fuel tank)

Body parts...nothing without minor dents.  Interior...shot.  

Any parts that are rare I should consider?

• Staff

I'd take the rubber fittings on the vacuum lines, for the HVAC system, on the right side of the engine along with the 2 one way valves.

Get the head light switch along with any other switches.  The A/C low pressure switch is the same, it's on top of the accumulator right fire wall. If it has cruise control take the servo but I'm not sure an 01 is the same. Take the PDC.  Cut the wire harness as far down as possible then unbolt it,  There are a lot of good terminal ends in there that you can use if you want to add extra relays and fuses to your PDC.  Keep the fuses and relays too. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Think I made a mistake. Did not turn out as planned.  I printed out the list in above posting and knocked on his door once again.  His wife answered the door and said he was gone but would call him.  She calls and says to her husband, the guy who wants the old blue pick up is here and he has a list.  What do you want me to tell him. He tells her to get his number.

He calls me couple hours later and tells me I can take the "hole" thing for 700.  And I do mean "hole" and not "whole".

But lesson learned for me.  Next time I 'm not going to have list and a bucket of hand tools in my hands.  

• Sad 1

• Staff

Sorry to here that.  Some people are real proud of their junk.  I bet a salvage yard wouldn't give him more than $150 for the pile.  I've found it best to talk to the owner face to face as soon as you find out that there is a vehicle to be sold /salvaged/ parted out.  Then you know yes, no or hell no. 

I have people calling me up all the time to see if I want to either buy their cars or take them off their hands or part them out.  I use to take them and part them out but the Boss Lady put her foot down and told me she didn't want to live in a "junk yard". 

Since the first of the year I've had 5 cars offered to me.  Two belonged in the bone yard and one wanted $1000 to much. 

Last week I got Volvo for free that just needed a transmission control unit, cost $100 for a used one.  Today I bought a used Volvo wagon for $100 that has a blown head gasket,  I estimated cost of repair, parts and machine work, less than $500.    

1 hour ago, IBMobile said:

Sorry to here that.  Some people are real proud of their junk.  I bet a salvage yard wouldn't give him more than $150 for the pile.  I've found it best to talk to the owner face to face as soon as you find out that there is a vehicle to be sold /salvaged/ parted out.  Then you know yes, no or hell no. 

I have people calling me up all the time to see if I want to either buy their cars or take them off their hands or part them out.  I use to take them and part them out but the Boss Lady put her foot down and told me she didn't want to live in a "junk yard". 

Since the first of the year I've had 5 cars offered to me.  Two belonged in the bone yard and one wanted $1000 to much. 

Last week I got Volvo for free that just needed a transmission control unit, cost $100 for a used one.  Today I bought a used Volvo wagon for $100 that has a blown head gasket,  I estimated cost of repair, parts and machine work, less than $500.    

Next time just going to work off your posting.  Showing up with what probably looked like a shopping list to them didn't help me to much.  ??