• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

A new member of the dead VP club. 

I had a lift pump go bad too, and then I talked to FASS and replaced the spring, I dead tested the lift pump before installing it and i would get about 12 psi on an old pressure gauge.  I put all new fuel filters including the FASS inline filter.   I installed this in the truck and the pressure read 15 psi. OK, maybe?  Truck would run sputter when I gave it gas and accelerate, and then die.  The pressure would go to 15, then as the truck died the fuel pressure drops to 0. 

I get the Pdone code but no other codes on an Innova scanner,  no P1693 just the P0216.  Yep, I thought my truck was running great too.

Marcus, did your fuel pressure fluctuate or fall to zero on yours?   It was a Blue Chip VP44 that I got about 90 K out of, and that's with 2 stroke oil for over 50k worth of driving.

4 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

LOL I guess I'm going to drive it till it dies cause i aint spending the cash till i have to lol. 

Just remember when it does quit it is always in bad place.

52 minutes ago, GSX455 said:

I had a lift pump go bad too, and then I talked to FASS and replaced the spring, I dead tested the lift pump before installing it and i would get about 12 psi on an old pressure gauge.  I put all new fuel filters including the FASS inline filter.   I installed this in the truck and the pressure read 15 psi. OK, maybe?  Truck would run sputter when I gave it gas and accelerate, and then die.  The pressure would go to 15, then as the truck died the fuel pressure drops to 0. 

I get the Pdone code but no other codes on an Innova scanner,  no P1693 just the P0216.  Yep, I thought my truck was running great too.

Marcus, did your fuel pressure fluctuate or fall to zero on yours?   It was a Blue Chip VP44 that I got about 90 K out of, and that's with 2 stroke oil for over 50k worth of driving.

Which Blue Chip pump was it?

1 hour ago, GSX455 said:

When the liftbpump quit? 

36 minutes ago, GSX455 said:

Special X, with stock injectors.  

Reason I ask is I have BC pump also. Not the special X but the unit he sold back 8 years ago with a new computer on it. $1700 back then I believe. It has seen 2 important things its whole life that my first 2 did not. Good fuel pressure, never below 14 psi and 2 cycle oil almost its whole life. I did loose a lift about 3.5 years ago but not the pump. I cant keep from believing this is a good strategy. @Mopar1973Man just got 243k out of his non BC pump following this method. I have 218k on this one and hope to beat him. Only time will tell. My next one will be a non BC as well for economic reasons.

Edited by dripley

• Staff
2 hours ago, dripley said:

Just remember when it does quit it is always in bad place.

Mine went out about 900miles from home, just north of Riggins, ID, going down a 2mile long 6% grade with a 8,000 pound trailer be hind me.   Luckily it was 23miles from Mike's house.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Mine went out about 900miles from home, just north of Riggins, ID, going down a 2mile long 6% grade with a 8,000 pound trailer be hind me.   Luckily it was 23miles from Mike's house.

You were very lucky.

• Like 2

• Owner
9 hours ago, IBMobile said:

This is why I want as many people to post there contact details in the 911 contact listing. This way if you have a failure somewhere you can get support from other members in the area even if it a safe place to say while you do the repair. 

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/911-support.html/contacts/

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

This is why I want as many people to post there contact details in the 911 contact listing. This way if you have a failure somewhere you can get support from other members in the area even if it a safe place to say while you do the repair. 

Done

Here’s another strange symptom from my truck. The nasty idle seems to only happen when the truck has been fully warmed up to 170 coolant temp and ran down the road for a while. I drove the 6 miles to town and truck sat for 20 mins and started her and the crappy idle was back. The rest of the day I did several short 1 mile  hops and the truck started and ran good? 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Done

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Stock VP44 injection pumps are just fine. You just need to make sure you are getting a pump that is by a certified Bosch rebuilder. 

Best place to get VP44? Cheapest and best quality? 

Since my ObdLink and Scan Qauge aren't pulling the codes that the Key Trick says are there what would you recommend to oull those codes? Dealership? I'm afraid its gonna be a injection pump failure code :yme:

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Done

16 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Best place to get VP44? Cheapest and best quality?

My VP came from DAP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Anyone have suggestions for pulling codes that my scanner wont pull? DEalership?

Napa, Advance Auto, O'Reilly's... any parts store, or if you've got a mechanic friend with a good reader you might be able to pay in beer.

• Like 1